Suggestions for affordable diving in New Zealand/Pacific Islands to help salvage trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cali.grrl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Long story short...Dive buddy/Ex has decided to abandon me in New Zealand and go back to the States 1 month into our 3 month trip.

I am now doing the best to salvage what I can even though my budget has essentially been cut in half.

I already have a flight to Cairns June 8th and a return flight to New Caledonia June 19-July 3rd. However, it seems New Caledonia is quite pricey and I might get more bang for the buck heading to Vanuatu and Fiji.

I may just have to buy new tickets all around and pay roughly $400 in change fees.

Can anyone offer some suggestions for must see dives and budget accommodation in the area?

Things I would love to do:

1. Dive USS Coolidge (Espiritu Santos)
2. Dive Vanuatu
3. Dive Fiji - Began Lagoon
4. Dive Poor Knights Island, North Island NZ

I have pretty much given up on Australia because the dollar doesn't go as far there. I have already dove GBR, but would have really loved to do a liveaboard, but I think it will be beyond my budget.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

:) Charlotte

Coral Sea and Yongala Wreck, on Mike Ball Liveaboards:

Specials | Great Barrier Reef Scuba Diving Packages

Or do your Fiji or Vanuatu leg, and finish the itinerary all off in Micronesia (Palau & Chuuk via Guam and Continental Airlines --expensive but at least you will be using US dollars). . .

Poor Knights, Rainbow Warrior, HMNZS Waikato and Tui while up north, then come further south to the Coromandel and soak on Hot water beach for a day to off gas before diving White Island...

For bang for your buck, while the Sth I has some great diving it's longer coastlines and more travel/accom intensive than hanging out in one spot at Tairua in the north and a day in Tauranga/Whakatane for White Island. Make sure you see Blu Maomao arch in the Poor Knights... I loved it there.

Dive USS Coolidge (Espiritu Santos)
Deco stop lodge has dorm accom that costs around $50 per night.
If you are in Vanuatu dont forget to head to tanna to see the volcano. One of the most amazing sights i have seen on my travels.

There is a lot of cheap accom in Fiji around pacific harbour as its part of the back packer circuit.
You can do the shark dives & some nice reefs dive in Benga lagoon. BAD divers will have some links for cheap accom options in pacific harbour.

New Cal will be very expensive.

You can get cheap flights to the Solomons form Brisbane/Fiji/Van.
Gizo & Munda have packages that start around $150 for accom/diving/food.

If money is a real issue head to the Philippines. Great diving for low $.

Kevrumbo: Don't remind me :( I thought I might be able to make it out on Mike Ball's Minke whale trip, but it didn't make financial sense for me since the cost would essentially be beyond my means right now. Plus, because of the currency rate, it's cheaper for me to head to the Pacific Islands. I'm bummed that I can't make it happen, but will make the best of it anyways!

Kiwi: Great suggestions! I am heading to Poor Knights on the 6th, but when I called Dive! Tutakaka they said that the weather may not permit diving the wrecks when I am there, but I would be able to still dive Poor Knights. I noticed a day trip option to White Island from Rotorua...is it worth staying a day or two to dive there? Is there affordable lodging available there? Seems like a pricey spot from what I have read. I had someone else mention Maomao arch, so I will try to get there! Any feedback on Goat Island? Is it worth a trip?

Kevster: The Coolidge is definitely on my radar! How many days do you suggest staying in Espiritu? How tough/expensive is it to get to Tanna from Port Vila? I read one of your posts on Vauatu and made some notes of the volcano hike based on your posts! What island is Began lagoon on? Any suggestions on getting there from Nadi?

I would love to go to the Philippines, but right now, I've gotta use the flights/credits I have since I am already losing money on cancellation fees from my travel buddy ditching me. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude!

Thanks for all the suggestions! Please keep them coming...I am going to try to finalize my flights in the next day or two. My apologies if it might take a day or two for me to reply, currently traveling and Internet access isn't always easy to come by!

Thanks again!

The Coolidge deserves at least 4 days diving.
The dives are generally deep/short.
I think the flights to Tanna are about $120 each way.

Pacific harbour is on the same island as nadi. You can dive Beqa (sharks & good reef diving) if you are based at Pacific harbour.It is about a 3hr drive from the airport. There is a very cheap bus service from Nadi to pacific harbour. Bus may take 5 hours. You can easily spend 1 week diving out of Pacific harbour. Fiji can be very good value, there are a lot of backpackers. In fact there is a back packer bus that makes circuit of the main island.
there are a lot of good diving options in Fiji.

Thanks for the feedback, Kevster! I will definitely look into that!!

Thank you, Kiwi! Any dive operators on White Island you can recommend? Do you stay on White Island, or just do a day trip there and stay in Rotorua?

Thank you again for the feedback!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom