Suggestions for affordable diving in New Zealand/Pacific Islands to help salvage trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stay in either Tauranga, Whakatane or Rotorua, I went out with a Whakatane dive crew, can't remember who with as it was all organised by the club, I just showed up at the bus stop at University in Hamilton, we piled into the minivans with our kit bags on the trailer and bussed off into the predawn fog. Nice n sunny by the time we got to the boat :p

Google of "Whakatane + Dive" brings up Dive White Island, PADI Scuba Diving in New Zealand. The Ultimate Diving Holiday Adventure! - The Ulitmate Adventure! -Home and Home - Diveworks Charters, Whakatane, New Zealand

White Island is an active volcanic cone which protrudes above the surface of the Bay of Plenty, the geothermal activity keeps it's underwater bits nice and warm, so theres lots of life compared to most of the rest of the area.

Personally I haven't stayed in accommodation in the BoP since I have family all round the area to stay with, but it will be on a par as anywhere else. the BBH.co.nz will have Whakatane backpackers and cheap accommodation there, I'd vote for staying in Whakatane unless you want to see Rotorua sights such as the Agrodome as well. I did some of my OW training in Lake Tapawera and Blue Lake near Rotorua, pretty boring unless you like mud, Skip the Rotorua diving, theres nothing to see there. But it was nice and clear and calm for nervous OW trainees.

You can't stay on the island itself, there used to be a sulphur mine but it was abandoned after toxic gasses during an eruption killed a bunch of the miners, there are still day trip walking tours of the island however to gawk at the craters and fumeroles and to see the old mining setup.

Not sure I will have the funds or the thick skin to dive White Island after doing so many dives in Santo! Some of the best diving I have ever encountered! Hoping to get some more warm water diving in Fiji before heading back to NZ! May have over did it here with 7 dives, but I feel it's still not enough! I would dive the Coolidge every single day if I lived here!

:) Charlotte

Definitly head to the poor knights. Got back from AUS / NZ trip a month ago. Poor knights was WAYYYY better than GBR (although I didn't make it to the ribbon reefs). Went with Yukon Dive Charters, which runs a smaller boat than Dive Tutukaka! Although I've heard surprisingly good things about Dive Tutukaka! too (I only say that because I usually prefer the smaller boats). Water is quite a bit colder than GBR though (I dove dry), so that might factor into your enjoyment. I so would've loved to do white island, but only had a single day for that and it would have been too expensive for a single day of diving. If your heading through rotorua, make sure to do the glow worms, its dry but worth doing if your there anyway. If you want to do white island, I think its quite a bit easier to get a trip out from whakatane than Tauranga.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom