Suggestions for exposure suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chugger

Swims with Jellies
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As a majority of you have probably already figured out, I will be home on leave the month of August. My family has booked a campsite down in the middle keys to do some diving while I'm home. My question for you Floridians is, what is the water temp in the Keys? Also what kind of wetsuit do you recommend for a warm water diver if I were to dive the 72 degree springs? Hopefully I get the opportunity to do so. :eyebrow: I ask because where I'm at Scubapro gear is extremely cheap. The LDS I dive with is the second largest scubapro retailer in the world, so I can get equipment over here in Guam way cheaper than back in the States.

Thanks in advance for any advice you should offer.

Chugs

In the springs I dive a Bare 5mm and have seen people with 7mm on and still be cold.... I also have a 3mm for when the water gets a little warmer. It's really personal preference and what your comfort zone is, I would prefer to be warmer than cold.... in the Keys I would at least have a 5mm and a 3mm on hand, it really depends on where and when you are diving the keys... surface temps can very anywhere from the mid 60's to the mid 80's in the keys. I have seen a group of divers in the keys, one wearing just a dive skin, one wearing a 5mm suit both going on the same dive......

:D I wear a 3/2 with a skin under, but that's just me. Gang any other suggestions.

Depending on how deep you dive the water is really warm in August here. I only wear a skin guard shirt over my swimsuit on the reefs and a 2mill on the wrecks and I am fine. Water temps in August is in the mid to high 80's.

I wear a 3mm during the winter months in FL. Rash guard and board shorts during during the summer. Depends on how you react to the cold.

Depending on how deep you dive the water is really warm in August here. I only wear a skin guard shirt over my swimsuit on the reefs and a 2mill on the wrecks and I am fine. Water temps in August is in the mid to high 80's.

Hey Becky, Are they camping at your place?

Chugger, for the Keys in August, you'll find me in a rash guard over my swim suit. Too hot for anything else. As for the springs, the more you dive, the colder that 72 is going to feel. Personally, I'd go with a 5.

Chugger, for the Keys in August, you'll find me in a rash guard over my swim suit. Too hot for anything else. As for the springs, the more you dive, the colder that 72 is going to feel. Personally, I'd go with a 5.

I don't know that's a good question. I'm sure if they are, they called the Aqua Ranch and reserved a campsite with Charlie's wife. I have yet to get any calls on my cell for reservations because I put the website up and she now has her number on there. It's been a week maybe I shold call and find out how things are going down there.:wink:
Becky

I use a 4/3 in the springs. Although as many here can tell you I have a good bunch of extra insulation. :wink: In August I would go in shorts and a t-shirt.

As I said before, I'm pretty used to the warm water. Water temp in Guam stays around 83 top to bottom. I dive over here in board shorts and a rash guard. I've been known to rock a 1mm for shallow dives with long BT because at about an hour, I start getting cold. I'm thinking I'll go with the 5mm because it's something I can probably use during the summer in Virginia.

I'm waiting on my Mother to chime in on this thread about the campsite. I know my Dad said something about the middle keys, but I have no idea what the hell that even means.

I'm waiting on my Mother to chime in on this thread about the campsite. I know my Dad said something about the middle keys, but I have no idea what the hell that even means.

Reserved with a state park near Marathon (Curry Hammock).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom