Suggestions for trip to Great Barrier Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melg

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum though not new to the sport. I have been diving in different places around the globe primarily in the Red Sea and Asian countries. I am planning a trip to the Great Barrier Reef for 15 days in August for the first time and I have done some research as to where I should go.

I have read that August is a good time -even though it is winter. Should I plan to dive somewhere north of Cairns just to make sure that it does not get too cold? What I am interested in seeing is large pelagic fish -as everyone!- but I do appreciate macro life such as nudis and the abundance of corals.

Seeing that time is finite, what would you suggest I have to absolutely visit? Is it better to be located in Cairns or Port Douglas? Additionally I believe it might make sense to take a 3 day live aboard. Any suggestions? I have seen that the Spirit of Freedom is highly praised but their prices are over twice as much as others. I would not want to spend more that 600 AUD for 3 days.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion you make.

I just reviewed 3 liveaboard operators and I saw that the price I quote is unreal!! Apologies, I am still exploring!!
Taka seems to get the worst reviews
Spirit of Freedom the best reviews
Mike ball -> good reviews

Spirit of Freedom is brilliant.

If you have that long i would also suggest going South to Lady Elliot island. the weather won't be too warm (nor the water really) BUT it is the prime time for Manta rays and humpback whales. I went at a different time of the year but have heard that during august they are in abundance - most dives! Something that is definitely on my agenda!

We have been going to Bonaire ever since becoming certified 10 years ago. We've been to other places for boat diving but really love shore diving and exploring on own on. I've been reading about Lady Elliot Island and thinking what a thrill it would be to shore dive on the GBR! Air fare is good right now, and the accomodations seem reasonable. My question is, Can we pick up our tanks and go once we're there, or is it all organized group diving? Surely it's not all boat diving with the reef so close to shore?!? I love Bonaire but am just hoping there is another such place somewhere in the world!

My experience on Lady Elliot island it was all boat diving with a group. The boat is just a quick 5-10 mins to get to the sites. YOu can just snorkel off the beach which is amazing itself. Call the dive shop directly and ask about independent diving off the shore - i tend to think they might not allow it though.

But don't let that stop you taking a trip! Its a magical spot. Diving aside, i've never had such a great time doing nothing. Its such a relaxed, friendly spot and unspoiled by upmarket tourism.

I can confirm that Lady Elliot is all boat diving ... the island is now an eco resort and they do not want people just walking over the reef. They normally do two dives a day, but are happy to organise more if requested.

Lots of Mantas Turtles and whales ... listening to the whale song underwater is awesome.

We did a trip there last August with Almitywife and Almity1, here is the link to a great trip report by Almitywife

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/australia/249296-lady-eliott-island-gbr-dive-trip-report.html

Additionally I believe it might make sense to take a 3 day live aboard. Any suggestions? I have seen that the Spirit of Freedom is highly praised but their prices are over twice as much as others. I would not want to spend more that 600 AUD for 3 days.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion you make.

You can do a 3 day liveaboard for about $600 with Deep Sea Divers' Den. I did my OW course with them last June and enjoyed it a lot. Their liveaboard vessel OceanQuest is comfortable, roomy and the food was great.

Deep Sea Divers Den - OceanQuest - Cairns Luxury Liveaboard Diving

I solidly recommend Ocean Quest for a 3 day or 2 day trip out of Cairns.
If you can go a little bit more upmarket and have the time - Spirit of Freedom, Taka and Mike Ball are the best 3 that run to the Ribbon Reefs (best of the Barrier Reef and includes the Cod Hole) and Coral Sea.

Info on these trips can be found here and please feel free to contact me if anyone needs any unbiased advice.
Kevin

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Discount dive travel to the Barrier Reef and Coral Sea - live aboard and day trips.

Cairns Discount Scuba Diving Trips - Great Barrier Reef

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom