Suggestion's for video for cave diving, deep wreck's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, i just purchased a DVD off Ebay, called Florida Spring's.

It had great clarity of the video taken, ( ashame it was mostley of the entrances looking out, ) but the video taken was very clear of the cave entrance's, and done nice, ( except for the diving part's, they wern't cave trained, it show's in the video's )

I been shooting UW photo's for the past 2 year's, and some of my good shot's in my alblum.

After seeing that video, I was thinking of shooting some real video's of cave diving and wreck's. Problem is two seperate issue's I see. Cave diving you need lot's of light to bounch off the wall's, and wreck diving, trying to capture color, or shooting a wreck at 150' , trying to capture the wreck, and keep it clear.

Some of my thought's of shooting, are most FL cave system's the first 300-400' in, showing the popular cave site's like Ginnie, Morrison, Peacock ,etc

then doing some clip's of the popular wrecks down here in FL. Shooting maybe the Spiegal , going into the wreck, not just swiming light to light, Filming the Spiegal Groove at night, on night dive's, and hitting the more popular wreck's here in FL.

A couple of friends I dive with use rebreather's, so the annoying bubble's wouldn't be a factor, and were looking to do a video set-up for around 2k ?

We would also like after this project is done, to sell the video, does anyone know of the law's that would prohibit us from selling video taken on the Speigal, other FL Wreck's, Ginnie cave system's, state park cave's etc?

If anyone has some good video shot, I'd love to see them, please show them!!

FLTEKDIVER:
Hi, i just purchased a DVD off Ebay, called Florida Spring's.

It had great clarity of the video taken, ( ashame it was mostley of the entrances looking out, ) but the video taken was very clear of the cave entrance's, and done nice, ( except for the diving part's, they wern't cave trained, it show's in the video's )

I been shooting UW photo's for the past 2 year's, and some of my good shot's in my alblum.

After seeing that video, I was thinking of shooting some real video's of cave diving and wreck's. Problem is two seperate issue's I see. Cave diving you need lot's of light to bounch off the wall's, and wreck diving, trying to capture color, or shooting a wreck at 150' , trying to capture the wreck, and keep it clear.

Some of my thought's of shooting, are most FL cave system's the first 300-400' in, showing the popular cave site's like Ginnie, Morrison, Peacock ,etc

then doing some clip's of the popular wrecks down here in FL. Shooting maybe the Spiegal , going into the wreck, not just swiming light to light, Filming the Spiegal Groove at night, on night dive's, and hitting the more popular wreck's here in FL.

A couple of friends I dive with use rebreather's, so the annoying bubble's wouldn't be a factor, and were looking to do a video set-up for around 2k ?

We would also like after this project is done, to sell the video, does anyone know of the law's that would prohibit us from selling video taken on the Speigal, other FL Wreck's, Ginnie cave system's, state park cave's etc?

If anyone has some good video shot, I'd love to see them, please show them!!

In 1993 when I started getting into video production after my teaching career ended, I approached a co. that sold video "stuff." I also said I had about 4K and wanted to start video production work. He chuckled, and being a "greeny" I really didn't understand why he chuckled at that point. After about 15K later, I understood. Now understand, I'm doing a very wide range of video work; UW productions is only a small part. Obviously I need a ton more equipment: mics, lights, backdrops, stands, etc. than is needed in pure UW video. IMO, be prepared to cough up more than 2K to start. You can easily get more than 2K wrapped up in a good editing system and the plug-in (Boris Red, Boris Graffiti) software to produce quality video. A hot running computer, external storage drives (at least 250 gig) cam, housing, lights, filters, and cases can easily set you back another 3-5K. On top of that, your looking at a 3-6 mo. learning curve for your editing system. I don't mean to sound discouraging, but just know what you're getting into, and once you get passed these hurdles, it's well worth it. My $.02

I've shot lots of cavern stuff in Mexico, and if I ever get some time, I will put together a program, get in touch with you, and send you a DVD.

Thanks, I understand it could be costley. I was hoping maybe a Sony Dig camera, maybe used in good working cond, with a pair of 50W on them, in a good Ampicho housing maybe, but I know 2k was shooting low. I said the same thing with my camera, and ended up getting into strobe's , filter's etc, as you can see in my gallery, I been shooting UW photo's for the past 2 year's, and havn't perfected it yet. Alot to learn.

I reality, I know it would probley cost some where of 3-5k if I'm lucky.

My thought was, after watching that video bought from Ebay, he sold 300 copies at $20 bucks a pc, = $6k

So if I had to spend 5k on a video set-up , I was hoping to make my money back by doing a better job then the DVD Sold on Ebay.

The video is called Florida Spring's. It really is just a short 5-6 min of each spring, with very little cave diving. It just shows a few min of each spring, and that's it.

I thought how cool whould it be to have some good video shot of local wrecks we dive, and local cave's, making maybe two seperate video's and selling them seperate.

Alot of people have intrest of cave's down here, so I tohught of filming some good cave video, the first few hundred feet into the popular cave system's down here, then the same with the wreck's.

It would take alot of work, alot of dive's, and alot of team work. But my buddies and myself would love to shoot some great, clear UW video , not like the cheap version you get like on my 5 meg digital camera , and call it video. I use a 2 gig media card in my 5 meg dig camera, so i can shoot lot of UW video and photo's, when we go on long trip's away from home. But it dosn't look anything like some good UW video's that are shot with the right filter's, UW lighting , etc.

it's like shooting UW photo's with just the Int flash, and getting all the back shutte,r and thinking how great it look's. Then add the flash, learn how to bounce the light off the object's, and take the same picture's, and man, they come out nice !!

Thanks for your help. If you find those video's, I'd love to see them !!

you can even email me at mdelano@cfl.rr.com

I been downloading some great video's off misc site's like here, and i can't belive some of the video's, they come out great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom