suggestions on how to get a person into diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably the best advice is to enjoy diving and do other things with her. It usually doesn't work out when people try to get GF's into diving if they're not really into it.

I think overall diving is one of those things that's great but only if you are self motivated to do it.

I've been around an instructor friend of mine and her classes enough to see first hand how it generally works out...not good.

Id suggest snorkelling first. If that doesnt spark some interest diving might not work out as mentioned already.

I used to date a chick that liked to ski. She would always bug me to get into it. I tried it, and hated it, but she didn't give up. It drove me nuts.
So unless you want this chick to become an ex don't bug her about diving. Let her aproach you about it if she wants to get into it

Let me tell you, DONT FORCE HER! I forced my ex-wife into it and she hated me and diving because of it...thus the reason for the ex part. Let her decide for herself. Ask her if there is anything appealing about it or if she is even curious? If she wants to, go on a trip somewhere warm and pay for a resort course so she can try it in warm water without having to put on a thick suit. If she doesn't show interest....drop it. The worst thing you can do is force her or pressure her.

Do some snorkelling as suggested in clear, warm and shallow water. Some aquariums offer these kind of activities and works well as there are loads of things to see. Make sure she has a mask and snorkel that does not leak. First bad experiences are sure diving “killers”. If she is not keen, rather leave it. You could also try a quick introduction in a pool with a cunning instructor, no technical stuff or information. The idea is to try and spark interest. Take small steps at a time, don't force anything.

Your signature says you live in Florida, so that makes the introduction to underwater easier!
As stated above, have her snorkel above you at a shallow water site. Visit on the surface, then she has fun topside while you have fun ten feet below.
Got a camera? Take pictures of what you saw, bring her a conch shell, demonstrate superior boyancy control by staying just in reach below the surface while you swim together.
Does your dive flag have a gear ring? Have a cool beverage together, toss scuba toys, relax and take it easy.
So she's not underwater... it's still a swim date.

But do not let her use your scuba gear without proper training.

If she's okay with it, have her watch some Open Water Diver DVDs or sit in on a class. Our local dive shops do training at a community college while others are swimming laps, so it lets others see what it's about in a non-threatening environment.
Any local dive clubs nearby? She may be fine with shore support while you and your buddies dive. Non-diving members can show both of you the range of options for mixing scuba and other activities with less resentment.
And have her check in with the SB crowd, which includes divers and non-divers. If she likes what she reads, she may be ready for the next step.

Meanwhile, she may be fine with getting a tan while you swim with the blue fishes. And that's good, too.

Last edited:
Agreed, start with some nice pleasant shallow water snorkeling and be prepared to leave it at that. If she wants to dive but needs to work through issues before being open to scuba this is the ticket. If she takes to it skin-diving is the perfect gateway sport to scuba diving.

Decide if you are qualified to get her into suitable gear and to teach her the basics.

Pete

Tell her that there is no wilder more beautiful spectacle and concentrated display of nature's colors on earth than on a healthy tropical coral reef --the only thing on land that comes close is the tulip fields in Holland. . .

any suggestions?

beach-books2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom