Suggestions on Speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started diving close to 30 years ago. Until last year I never used anything except an AB Biller/Spearfishing specialties Sea Hornet based gun. I finally broke down last year and bought a Wong. Daryl makes a helluva gun but for someone getting into spearing I cannot advise you to spend that much cash on a gun.

I would advise a 48" or larger Spearfishing specialties gun, if you can afford it go for the "commercial" guns. They have a lot of advantages over the regular guns. But having said that I have killed tons of fish (literally) with my 48" Sea Hornet and a freeshaft.

Get a line shaft to start out with, once you can hit what you want to and kill it, switch to the freeshaft unless the terrain (lots of deep structure) or fish (free swimmers) dictate using a line or a reel.

Good Luck and happy spearing!

Luke

GET AN AIMRITE

aimritehawaii.com

Chad Carney:
One last thing if you like the sport... think in terms of multiple guns, rather than one for everything.
Chad
So true. You want the right gun for the right situtation and fish.

It is also good to carry more than one gun on the boat. We would carry our long guns in the water and have spares in the boat. My spare was always my older/shorter gun. On more than one occasion we "holed" (when fightened they hide under the reef) a grouper where we were unable to manuever the long gun into a tight sqeeze and into position to get a "kill shot" at the fish. Sometimes the shorter (more manueverable) gun will be the one that allows you to bring home the fish.

Charris, Do you know any good shops to learn spearfishing? I live in South Florida also.

Check out the forums--there are several seminars held in the early part of the year...also check with your local dive shops, dive clubs, etc...a couple of seminars have also been posted in this forum...other members should post sites and dates of seminars they know about also. You'll learn alot, whether you are novice, intermediate in experience...a good seminar may be worth two years worth of experience for the rookie. Happy hunting!

Thanks for the tips guys.

my buddies and I dive the Alabama gulf coast and all use a 54" biller taking 30# class red snapper and 60# ling these guns hold up to some hard hunting

a pole spear also is not a bad option if you are new to spearfishing all together. I have a 7ft. one piece with a trident tip that I have used since I started diving, and I love it. it is simple and easy to use, it is only a little tricky after you shoot the fish, to not lose the fish, it just takes a little finesse, but is a good place to start I think

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom