Suggestions where to dive after Raja Ampat in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver-jean

Registered
Reaction score
Next May we have 7 days booked at Misool in Raja Ampat and have time to visit another location for another 7 days. We will be flying out of Sorong and would like to stay at another dive resort with great diving. What do you recommend? We have only been to Bali and no other location in Indonesia. We were thinking possibly about the Komodo Resort Diving Club but we would like other suggestions from those of you who know Indonesia. We prefer land-based diving but would not rule-out a short 4-5 day live-aboard. We are older, experienced divers (mainly in the Caribbean). Thank you!

You would not be disappointed diving Komodo. I refer to as a mini Raja Ampat ... diving is just as good, but in a much more condensed area. But that's the reason I'd suggest going elsewhere, to get some more variety in your trip. The first thing that comes to mind for variety is Lembeh. It's an easy trip from RA (fly Sorong-Manado), and the diving is a real contrast. You'll hear from muck junkies, I'm sure, who would go there for a month if they had the chance. That's a lot for me, but a week there, about 5.5 diving days, is just right. Lodging options are many and varied, from backpacker to cushy. Wherever you stay, it's all the same when you splash, but dive guides can vary, and you want a good guide in Lembeh. If your experience is the Caribbean, but you want some new underwater experiences, Lembeh is a good choice. There are a bazillion YouTube videos of the critters there. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
Thank you, highdesert! Lembeh looks like a terrific dive destination for us. The flight schedules look good from Sorong to Manado and Manado to Jakarta too. I think we might save Komodo for another trip and Lembeh has moved to the top of the list. Great suggestion!

If there's any way to swap your two weeks, you might find it better to do the Lembeh week first, especially if you've been away from diving for any period of time. The (relatively) current-free conditions and shallower depths at Lembeh are a good place to tweak your diving skills before going to RA.

We have really enjoyed Bunaken , stayed in Cha Cha resort which was fabulous.

We are doing RA at Christmas and are going to Nusa Lembongan afterwards.

Ambon would be another option, only a short hop from Sorong with Wings Air.
Personally I like it more than Lembeh, less operations and less people, rhinopias fiesta, great cora dives outside Ambon bay. Direct flights to/from Jakarta, you can combine it either on a first or second week with R4.

Thank you, Luko! We will take a look Ambon as well. We definitely want to experience muck diving for a few days after RA. Thank you for the recommendation.

I vote for Lembeh. We stayed at Lembeh Resort. A week would be good. We did 10 days once and it was a bit too much. We also did 5 days and that was not quite enough.
Enjoy your trip, you are going to love it.

If there's any way to swap your two weeks, you might find it better to do the Lembeh week first, especially if you've been away from diving for any period of time. The (relatively) current-free conditions and shallower depths at Lembeh are a good place to tweak your diving skills before going to RA.

If you do decide to add Lembeh to your Raja Ampat trip, consider doing what highdesert recommended - in addition to being relatively calm throughout the year, it can also serve as a break to your travel to minimise risk of luggages delay or to pick up anything you might have forgotten, in Manado :)

Good luck with your planning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom