summer drysuit diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends (always wear those :wink:) on where I'm diving and how deep. Summer, in a quarry, above 60 degrees, I might just wear some fleece. But I've also been known to wear my usual 400gs with some tilos fleece beneath it. Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall, Great Lakes, quarry or cave. I've never been too warm. Ever.

I wear a 300Gr fleece or Andy's Undies. If the outside temp is blistering and the water temp is 70+, then I sometimes go with a light polypropylene.
The worst part is getting ready and working up a sweat, and then going to depth in the 43deg water and getting chilled.
I try to dress in the shade during the summer months.....

I have a Diving Concepts compressed neoprene. I wear Underwader Wear. The bottoms are just a thin layer to move moisture away from my skin. The top has a light fleece inner layer, which is almost too warm. I dive Lake Michigan. Heavy socks for fit.

tc_rain:
For those who dive drysuits year around, what undergarments do you wear in the summer months?

Not too many people that I know own several sets of woolies (not really made of wool, of course). So they/we normally wear the same for both seasons.

I have a DUI Polartec 560 gr jumpsuit which I use together with an argon bottle.

The nice thing about a drysuit in summer is that you can peel it back, and keep it peeled back, until just before you get ready to go into the water. That keeps you cooler on shore than being in a tight hot thick wetsuit.

The nicest thing about a drysuit is the argon bottle.

I have a 5 mm compressed neoprene suit and wore a t-shirt and shorts under it this weekend. It was good to 130 feet and 47 degrees in the lake.

In the winter I wear a sweatsuit under it. In the summer I get so fargin hot gearing up that it is a releif to hit the water in the 40s.

With my trilam suit I wear Weezle Extreme + most of the time. The water temps below the thermocline are in the low 40s tops and often as low as 37-39, no matter what the temperature is on the surface. If we're just doing a shallow dive in the late summer, when the water has warmed up, I might just wear my fleece undergarment. I get cold easily, though.

Trust me, I'm not complaining about the nice warm summer water temps. But it is sometimes difficult to underwear-dress right this time of year.

The dive Monday was 80 mins, max depth 200'. Most of the dive was spent in water in the 60's and 70's, but I dressed for the 49 degrees we believed it would be at depth (turned out to be 51). I was comfortable at 200', but actually hot for the deco - which was the majority of the dive. Also it was sunny and hot on the surface, so out of the water was a sweat-fest.

That's the thing about summer. Big temperature swings (40's at depth to 90's on the surface.) It's why I like fall diving the best. The water is still (relatively) warm but there is less swing from surface to depth.

(Lake Travis, TX that is)
Otherwise, it's a lightweight longsleeve shirt and jeans. I've done short sleeves and can't stand the clammy feeling. With the bottom normally at 60ish degrees and everything above 40 feet in the 80 degree or above range, it is a bear coming up when wearing much more. Right now, i'm waiting on winter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom