Suncountry's $75 fee for dive gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I looked back and the OP is in Minnesota. I had answered previously to include possible differences for Canadians. Sun Country is a Canadian airline, right? They might have some different rules up there? :idk: For here, don't tell, and insure your gear with good trip insurance or whatever.

Baggage policy and baggage reality are two very different things. In my experience you can generally check whatever you want so long as it's not over weight/size and doesn't contain anything TSA will pull as hazardous.

For example, United claims that "An empty dive tank will not be included in determining the free baggage allowance and will be subject to a $100 service charge (each way) for flights within the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands." I have a free baggage allowance and during my slow process of moving out to HI via USPS flat rate and a series of EWR-HNL flights, I shuttled a total of 4 steel 130s, 2 AL80s, 2 Al20s, and a steel 100 out here in checked bags.

No extra charges involved, though TSA proved time and again they were serious (if really stupid) about the whole 'no sealed containers' thing by ripping off the clear plastic baggies I'd loosely (i.e., not sealed) taped over the tank necks.
Yeah, it was Spare Air that lobbied TSA to publish some actual rules as most of their business is to vacation divers who wanted little tanks that could fly - and they were losing a lot of business I bet. Prior to that, I was flying my 19 cf pony and hoping. The rule they have now requiring the neck be open is still silly so I am still risking it with 2" electrical tape, both ends doubled back for easy removal. Of course many will look inside, I've watched them look in Lubbock, but so far all of them put the tape back. In Amarillo, they just used their CT-Scan, and in dive destinations where they see scuba gear every day - I was not close by for the inspections, but I doubt any of them cared much.

You do have to make the TSA and other security agents happy. You do not have to tell the airline not prohibited by TSA.

What I have read, and what I would do :lookaround:, (I know, I know... my bad) is just pack the gear and beg for forgiveness later if need be. Although, be prepared if your gear is lost that the airline could and very well will deny any compensation if a claim is made.

If you're flying from the U.S. or Canada to Mexico (or both from and to any other countries which are signatories to the Montreal convention), you are due compensation for loss and damage. I would be surprised if there is any exception for neglecting to mention that it's dive gear. Suncountry doesn't get to violate international treaties with a policy.

In fact, from the Suncountry website:

For international travels, including the domestic portions, subject to the Warsaw Convention[1], the liability limit for delay, damage or loss is approximately $9.07 per pound ($20.00 per kg) for checked baggage and approximately $400 per passenger for unchecked baggage. Where the Montreal Convention applies, the liability of Sun Country Airlines for the delay, damage or loss to checked and unchecked baggage is limited to 1,000 Special Drawing Rights per passenger (approximately $1,500.00).

If you declare the full value of the baggage and contents at check-in and pay any excess valuation fee requested, the full value of the baggage is covered. If the airline doesn't request an additional fee for insurance and you've declared the full value of the baggage at check-in, they're liable for the full value. You will be expected to provide proof (receipts, etc.) of the value if making a claim. The treaty doesn't specifically mention that you need to declare the contents themselves at check-in, as far as I know.

I am not aware of any airline that will volunteer any of this information to an affected passenger. I have had an airline baggage employee deny that the airline was responsible for damage. A couple of phone calls to corporate resulted in compensation (though not in any apology for the misinformation or denial of responsibility).

[1] Although Canada, the U.S., Mexico, and many other countries are covered by the Montreal Convention, the Warsaw Convention might apply in other cases. A quick google search will bring up a list of countries that have signed each.

Caveat: IANAL.

If you're flying from the U.S. or Canada to Mexico (or both from and to any other countries which are signatories to the Montreal convention), you are due compensation for loss and damage. I would be surprised if there is any exception for neglecting to mention that it's dive gear. Suncountry doesn't get to violate international treaties with a policy.

In fact, from the Suncountry website:
For international travels, including the domestic portions, subject to the Warsaw Convention[1], the liability limit for delay, damage or loss is approximately $9.07 per pound ($20.00 per kg) for checked baggage and approximately $400 per passenger for unchecked baggage. Where the Montreal Convention applies, the liability of Sun Country Airlines for the delay, damage or loss to checked and unchecked baggage is limited to 1,000 Special Drawing Rights per passenger (approximately $1,500.00).

If you declare the full value of the baggage and contents at check-in and pay any excess valuation fee requested, the full value of the baggage is covered. If the airline doesn't request an additional fee for insurance and you've declared the full value of the baggage at check-in, they're liable for the full value. You will be expected to provide proof (receipts, etc.) of the value if making a claim. The treaty doesn't specifically mention that you need to declare the contents themselves at check-in, as far as I know.

I am not aware of any airline that will volunteer any of this information to an affected passenger. I have had an airline baggage employee deny that the airline was responsible for damage. A couple of phone calls to corporate resulted in compensation (though not in any apology for the misinformation or denial of responsibility).

[1] Although Canada, the U.S., Mexico, and many other countries are covered by the Montreal Convention, the Warsaw Convention might apply in other cases. A quick google search will bring up a list of countries that have signed each.

Caveat: IANAL.

Ok then..... However, I still would not be surprised that a claim, with receipts for scuba equipment would not be denied or at least questioned in the case where an airlne has a policy regarding scuba equipment, especially in this day an age of airline travel where even a pack of pretzels can cost at least a few nickel and dimes. Whatever.. Basically to the OP, this topic has come up before. The general consensus is to pack the gear. Having tanks does additional concerns, but, then, I would say that most divers are only checking a BCD, fins, wetsuit and masks perhaps. The general population seems to usually carryon on regs, computers and perhaps camera equipment, etc. Hope all goes well for you and regardless, Have a wonderful dive vacation !

I pack my stuff and just don't tell them it's dive gear. I had always been told don't label it dive gear and put a bunch of stickers and stuff on it because it makes it more of a target when they know it's dive gear. I carry on my computer.

Pack your gear in a normal suitcase and they will be none the wiser. :) Plus I think it makes your gear a wee bit safer as well.
This is what I've done the last two years when flying to CZM through Sun Country. I made sure my suitcase fit the baggage policy, and put my fins and booties in the bottom with clothes on top, along with all of my prohibited carry-ons such as sunblock, etc.. My carry-on (backpack) consisted of my laptop, GoPro, Point and shoot camera, extra batteries, mask/snorkel (I like to snorkel during SI), and regs/comp.

No problems, whatsoever. If you decide to take this route, one piece of advice is to weigh your bags before you get to the airport to make sure they're under 50 lbs. We witnessed several couples scrambling to shuffle things between his/her suitcases at the counter so they didn't get hit with an extra fee during check-in.

Portable, digital luggage scales are essential these days, but cheap to acquire and easy to carry.

And one of my favorite reasons my wife and I love scuba diving the Caymans and send as many divers there as possible.... 2 bags, 50# each max and NO bag fees on Cayman Airways. They seem to welcome divers with dive gear realizing how much tourism the dive industry brings to the Islands.

To the credit of one TSA agent in Houston. On one trip my empty SpareAir was packed in my checked bag but caught with the regulator still on the empty tank. It had been over-tightened by hand (my fault) and at the end of the trip I was unable to remove it. TSA said it had to be removed. The TSA agent actually found a sky cap with a pair of channel locks and the three of us removed the reg from the tank. Best experience I ever had with TSA.

For most airlines, if you honestly believe they care about you, the passenger or your bags or added fees or....enough said.

I wonder if that also counts if your gear is carry on?

I will not check my dive gear. I check my big suit case with clothes, toiletries etc, but I have a 21"x14"x9" suit case for my dive gear and one change of clothes. It stays with me. If the airline ever loses our luggage again, I am not using rental gear. I do have to squeeze my Aqualung Slingshot fins into my checked bag because they're too long to fit within the carry on measurements.

When my dive gear was lost/stolen years ago I got nada from the airline for the scuba gear because it was "sporting equipment." Perhaps I was/am uninformed on the declaring full value comment. I carry-on only (no BC) now.

Ok, I looked back and the OP is in Minnesota. I had answered previously to include possible differences for Canadians. Sun Country is a Canadian airline, right? They might have some different rules up there? :idk: For here, don't tell, and insure your gear with good trip insurance or whatever./QUOTE]

The rules up here are the same as yours. Empty tank with valve removed is ok. Weight restrictions vary by airline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom