sunset house question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scoooter961

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How far from the tank pickup/return is it to the water (ladder and sea pool area)? I have some back issues and am not sure how far I can carry a tank. Thinking about making a little wheelie thing to strap to a tank.

Thanks,

Scott

From the shop to the spot you get in to dive? I would say no more than 50 yards. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It's a fair distance with a bad back. I was there a couple of years back but only did boat dives and I don't remember hauling tanks for that. But hauling the gear back to the lockers was a major pain. I'm 71 and I usually dive Indo-Pacific and aren't used to hauling gear around. I'd do the wheelie thing.

Hello Scooter961, our dive staff at Sunset Divers are always on hand to help you with your dive gear. We can carry your tank to the waters edge and you can gear up there if you prefer. You can contact direct on training@sunsethouse.com. Just ask for help when you are here.

Thanks! I hate asking for help :)

Ask for a hand. Its not far but surface is uneven and you have to negotiate getting up and down the ladder.

I understand wanting to do it yourself but asking for help is always a good option. I've never seen an op anywhere not willing to help with whatever accommodation is needed. Tip well to assuage your guilt. :wink:

Capture.JPG

google earth puts the distance between the dive dock and the salt water pool steps at 240' including the path to the waters edge. Also the shop down to the dive dock at 185' but I've read there's a new(er) dive tent? closer now for tanks. It's all downhill from the shop also so easier one way than the other. Paved road for that part of it.

I've only walked it a couple times but IIRC the path between the dive dock and the salt water pool was mostly paved concrete on basically the same level - maybe just a short step up/down in a couple places.

If you;re staying there, most of the rooms are closer as the buildings are mostly to the NE of the dock/bar area - behind the SW pool. IRC the lockers ere near My Bar.

Last edited:
Thanks! I hate asking for help :)
My son and I just got back from there and the staff is great. They are always there and ready to help. They volunteered every time to say "Here let me help with your gear. It was a great experience.

You usually do not have to walk all the way to the salt water pool. Unless it's rough, you can just go straight into the water at the ladder at the end of the walkway from the dive shop. no more than 100 feet from tank pick up to the ladder. The concrete is a bit rough in spots so you need shoes or booties.

If you go boat diving with one of the west side operators, it is pretty much valet. They will pick you up at your condo at the beginning of the trip, set up and break down gear as well, and rinse and store daily. You would never need to pick up a tank and only have to haul the rest of your gear on first and last day.

Back
Top Bottom