Superduper tech rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a "deep air" simulator. You dive to 10 feet and the large yellow hose is hooked up the the beer cans. You continue to consume them as fast as possible getting progressively "deeper". You can simulate anything up to about 350 with this rig. Because you are only about 10 feet under, it is totally risk free (unless you haven't installed a p-valve...cause then there is a serious risk of flooding your suit).

Brian

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
exactly what do you think is wrong with this innovative setup... other than using belting instead of duct tape.

Those are weightbelts holding it all together......

:eek:

R..

If you guys are gonna make fun of my gear, I'll quit posting on this board!!:fury:

I got lots of "stuffed hosen" und "suicide clips" und "Posieden reguns" but it quickly became clear that this site has a thing against sling bottles, helmet lights, gauge consoles, wrist slates, and all kinds of perfectly okay (if not strictly DIR) gear items. Some of the DIW examples are so stupid they're funny, and some of the pics show maybe one really bad gear config and a bunch of not-bad ones.

In particular, I wonder what the folks here think about helmet lights. Personally, I like my hands free (especially when I'm digging in the mud) and my Halcyon HID on a bike helmet is comfortable and works great. It's configured so I can take it off (light head, cord, battery pack & all) underwater. Didn't the DIR stuff originate with cave diving? We've all seen pictures of Sheck Exley and Martin Farr with helmet lights; has the "movement" progressed past that?

Comments?

Hi Steve,

first it is dutch, not german :)

The thing with the helmet is:
If you have a divesite where you need no fins one might wear a helmet, no problem on that, altough i would NOT wear one.
But the helmet-crowd here even tried to put "One must wear a helmet" into legal restrictions for certain caves, just to keep the DIR-dudes out.
This was after a guy drowned in a cave. Of course it was in no way a DIR-dude, but a helmet-wearing diver.

It was actually the first time they tried to keep DIR-divers out by law and it has raised the confrontation to a new level.
We had to talk to the mayor of this town and he told us that the others told him that non-helmet-divers are suicidal and other crap.

Joking on the internet is one thing, but putting configurations into a law is just apartheid on a diving-level.

Since then things cooled down and i hope it stays that way.

Just my 2 euro-cents

Michael

SteveKL once bubbled...
I got lots of "stuffed hosen" und "suicide clips" und "Posieden reguns" but it quickly became clear that this site has a thing against sling bottles, helmet lights, gauge consoles, wrist slates, and all kinds of perfectly okay (if not strictly DIR) gear items. Some of the DIW examples are so stupid they're funny, and some of the pics show maybe one really bad gear config and a bunch of not-bad ones.

In particular, I wonder what the folks here think about helmet lights. Personally, I like my hands free (especially when I'm digging in the mud) and my Halcyon HID on a bike helmet is comfortable and works great. It's configured so I can take it off (light head, cord, battery pack & all) underwater. Didn't the DIR stuff originate with cave diving? We've all seen pictures of Sheck Exley and Martin Farr with helmet lights; has the "movement" progressed past that?

Comments?

Way past that. Helmet lights pose a couple of different problems that I can think of off the "top of my head":)

They are an entanglement hazard.

They blind your buddy when you look at them.

Every movement of your head confuses your buddy as to your intentions. If you are using proper buddy skills, light signals are cruicial.

Other than dry sump diving, I don't see any need for a helmet light. Or a helmet for that matter.

SteveKL once bubbled...

Comments?

Most cave divers on this board are diving warm water caves with viz in excess of 20 feet. You can see where you are going, so you don't need a helmet. Also, most people on here don't dive alone. Diving with someone else with lights on your head is a real CF. NO communication and very little monitoring of buddy's activities. You can't look someone in the eye if you are beaming a 17W HID in their face.

...about the CF factor vis-a-vis blinding your buddy. I get eye strain from looking at my buddy from the corner of my eye so I don't dazzle him full in the face. On the other hand, I do lots of solo diving so that's not a huge deal.

I can definitely see the entanglement possibilities and take that as a calculated risk. I've reconfigured so I can remove the whole works with one snap (helmet chin strap) and one buckle (light cannister) with the cord running outside everything except regs.

Don't know about helmet as head protection (?) in caves; mine is simply a light platform. If I'm doing "underwater work" in the dark that requires both hands, I like to keep the light on what I want to see instead of snapping it off and either A) blinding myself, or B) plunging myself into blackwater and nailing my wrist with a 5# beater.

Thanks to everyone who commented, and sorry the DIW site was (not) Dutch to me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom