Supporting my local dive shop(s) is frustrating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, can you tell us what specific gear you're interested in buying, so we can at least tell you if your LDS is ripping you off? That seems relevant to your initial post.

Sure. I guess that this thread has changed direction from me whining about the LDS business model to a critique of my gear choices, so why not?

I really don't think that any of the LDS are trying to rip me off. Most of them just want to sell me their standard "welcome to scuba" package that pretty much mirrors their rental package.

Here's my current list: The list for my wife looks almost identical. Some of this stuff is already purchased. Some is still being decided on.

Lightweight, back inflate wing--style BCD: Aqualung Rogue or Dive Rite Hydrolite or Cressi Lightwing

Trim weight pockets

Atomic ST1 Regulator (DIN) with Atomic Din to Yoke Converter
Atomic SS1 safe second inflator and/or Atomic TI2 Octo

Garmin Descent MK2i watch/computer (integrated air)
Garmin T1 transmitter (for integrated air)

Scubapro Synergy 2 Twin Mask
Scubapro Seawing Nova Gorilla Fins

OMGear roll up snorkel

Fox Tecnoreef dive knife with kydex sheath
Eezycut Trilobite cutting tool

Akuna Nomad booties
Seac 3mm Shorty wetsuit
Probe Frogskin insulated top and bottoms
Rashguards

Sealife Micro 3.0 camera and light set

Whistle
DSMB with reel

Mesh dive bag

Waterproof bag with spare batteries, tools, repair stuff, etc. to keep on the boat.

Mask defogger in a small dropper bottle

That all looks decent and I can see where all the money is going with a camera set thrown in as well as a Garmin and transmitter.

Sure. I guess that this thread has changed direction from me whining about the LDS business model to a critique of my gear choices, so why not?

I really don't think that any of the LDS are trying to rip me off. Most of them just want to sell me their standard "welcome to scuba" package that pretty much mirrors their rental package.

Here's my current list: The list for my wife looks almost identical. Some of this stuff is already purchased. Some is still being decided on.

Lightweight, back inflate wing--style BCD: Aqualung Rogue or Dive Rite Hydrolite or Cressi Lightwing

Trim weight pockets

Atomic ST1 Regulator (DIN) with Atomic Din to Yoke Converter
Atomic SS1 safe second inflator and/or Atomic TI2 Octo

Garmin Descent MK2i watch/computer (integrated air)
Garmin T1 transmitter (for integrated air)

Scubapro Synergy 2 Twin Mask
Scubapro Seawing Nova Gorilla Fins

OMGear roll up snorkel

Fox Tecnoreef dive knife with kydex sheath
Eezycut Trilobite cutting tool

Akuna Nomad booties
Seac 3mm Shorty wetsuit
Probe Frogskin insulated top and bottoms
Rashguards

Sealife Micro 3.0 camera and light set

Whistle
DSMB with reel

Mesh dive bag

Waterproof bag with spare batteries, tools, repair stuff, etc. to keep on the boat.

Mask defogger in a small dropper bottle

Ok, since we can't talk you out of buying before cert let's see if we can save you some money.

All atomic regs have the same excellent build quality and design and breath the same the only difference is material all will likely outlive you and your wife. Get the z series reg and octo for you and your wife instead.

Hold off on the camera for sure. All of us will recommend that any diver not bring camera or spear gun (especially speargun) when they first start. The reason being is you don't need distractions when you first start and having one will slow down your learning curve significantly. Work on bouyancy and getting comfortable in the water first, once you have that then start taking pictures of the cool stuff. Once you reach that point only one of needs a camera.

I prefer bpw with back inflate being second place I hate jackets but that is my personal preference. Do you ever see yourself doing cold water diving? If so the light weight BC's might not have the lift for drysuit diving.

A couple of other things wouldn't be my personal choice but that is just my preference.

See more here.

My advice to new divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom