Surefire flashlights in a dive light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok,
right now there is no point in wasting money modding a surefire light. While I love my Surefires on land. there are better options for dive lights. with the intova under $50 producing almost as good of a beam as my trusty 6P, one must ask why do this to your self.

Now then if you can make a light on the same level as a 6P for less and have it work underwater, then go for it.

Jonas, what were you thinking? g2's and for that matter most of the surefire line are not spec'd, sold, or even claimed to be water proof. yes the Surefire lights are used in combat, and yes I trust mine to work all the time, (assuming I still have battery charge left,) but they are not dive lights.

If I were to modify mine, I'd fill the whole thing with mineral oil. That oought to take care of any pressure differentials. The only thing that has prevented me from doing that is - just like Jonas' tale - Li-Ion batteries have a propensity to explode if shorted out. Not something I want happening to something attatched to my chest D-ring.

Things to try: Using nail polish on the rubber tail cap and the front lens to waterproof the light.

While my surefire lights are great and will take a beating I not sure about taking them under water. Sure a few feet will not hurt them but at any real depth I worry about the momentary on/off switch failing.

Rollerboi consider the princeton tec torrent. If the surefire your modding only puts out 60 lumens the torrent nearly doubles that at 115 lumens and can be purchased for about $30 on ebay. I've taken mine beyond the 100 ft mark on several dives. Just a thought.

I have been using surefires for diving for 3 years now. I mainly use them for cave diving but also for regular OW OC.
The only issue is replacing the rear push button cap with a cap ( OEM from surefire) on and of is just turn cap CW for on.
The front lens need and added o ring and I replaced the original orings with thinker (tighter) ones.
PROS: The best light source available
CONS: DIY
Eduardo

Hello cybersniperDiver,

How about posting a few pictures of your modification?

Thanks,

couv

Sorry to resurrect a new thread, but figured it best to consolidate my idea with the previous ideas just for ease of reference. I have an old sure fire light as well as a mag light case and a Streamlight case. My plan it to turn the surefire into a light head, and use either the Maglight, or the Streamlight as the canister for the battery. I hesitate to use the Streamlight, as it's plastic case where the switch and recharge tabs are located seems flimsy, and not in the least waterproof. HOWEVER, I could shoot some silicone in there, and seal up that portion so that it would be waterproof, as it doesn't have to be readily available. The problem, the recharge tabs are exposed, and I'm not sure if that would short out the system, or if the switch would be functional. So again, the Streamlight seems like a no go. My other idea is to get a few Maglights with the removable sections, and create a reasonably long battery section, cap off both ends, and run a gland out of one end, run a length of power cable to the surefire light-head, and seal up the internal of the light-head with silicone. The only gap in the idea is how to put a switch on it, as the Maglight case is not wide enough to allow for the gland sleeve and a switch. So, any ideas on how this may or may not work?

I haven't waterproofed a surefire, but I have used a surefire led to mod a princeton tec miniwave ii. I posted photos of the conversion on here the other night. I am on my phone now but will post a link when I get back to the office.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom