Surface Marker Buoy Needed in Prescott Divers Playground?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which would take longer than the second coming of J.C.
Good point.

I mark several sites each year in the St. Lawrence and Ottawa Rivers for SOS Ottawa.

The coast guard will not install buoys for you. With their permission, you can mark a site, however, the buoy must be built to CCG standards and the CCG must be notified so they can issue a notice to shipping.

Kevin

artw once bubbled...
Perhaps I'll contact them about getting a buoy at Lock 21. If they can put one at the Conny, they can surely put one at Lock 21.

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not from that area. Is Lock 21 a boat dive and in need of a mooring buoy? That is what SOS is placing and the CCG is not so too difficult about those. If you mean a permanent diver below or a keep out, for that you would need an extremely good reason. The safety of divers is not likely to be enough. CCG's primary concern is keeping boats out of trouble. To that end, a known/charted mooring at a location that vessels may regularly anchor (such a regularly dived wreck) is safer as vessels can plan a course well away from it, thus SOS buoys are "good".

Lock 21 is a shore dive in the Long Sault area. There are a couple of reasons that it is not moored by SOS. One is that the guidelines that are already on it are constantly breaking under the strain from the weeds that collect on the lines from the current and a buoy would only stay afloat for a few days unless constantly cleared. Another is that SOS is a charitable volunteer organization which must be careful with what little money it has. Buoys are expensive and volunteers to maintain them are hard to find, therefore shore sites such as lock 21 and prescott docks are not moored. Although it is largely a shore dive, the connestoga was moored because there is an issue with boating traffic from the fishing community over-running the site at high speed and creating a hazard to the divers below.

IMHO if you are diving Prescott and feel the need for a flag, take your own. Instructors should be teaching their students to take and use a flag or float, not teaching them to expect one to be there. I always carry a marker and spool in my backplate so if I need to I can deploy it, otherwise I am unhindered by it.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin for an excellent response to this request for information.

Sharing valuable, accurate information is important in our sport.

I don't believe that the Diver Down flag is an officially recognized flag... At least I don't believe it's in the International Code of Signals. I don't have a copy here and am just using my rusty memory. I believe that the Internationally recognized flag is the Blue and White Flag Alpha which means Divers down or Friendly Demolitions work in progress. Vessels should give a wide berth but there is no real Regulations stating that they must...

Should there be an accident, well the fact that the Ship was flying Code Alpha would not reflect well upon the Offending Ship in a Maritime Court. But fault would likely be shared all round...As the Captain of the ship flying the Alpha Flag has a responsibility to ensure safety. The actions of the Dive Supervisor would also come into question and utlimately the Diver himself...as the unwritten rule goes something like "once your head goes under the surface - your in charge of the Dive"

I think the Red/White flag that we are all fimiliar with came into use in the late 60's and is generally recognized and accepted by to mean Recreational Diving in Progress, give wide berth. I don't believe that there is any official law that states that a ship or boat must adhere to the flag....and I also don't think that there is any requirement/law stating that a Flag / Float must be used by recreational divers.

Oh and back to Alpha again...two flags are actually flown...
A long Pennant type flag that alternates Red White Red White...This means Code.... and then the Blue and White Alpha flag is flown just under the Code Flag... This indicates that the Signal comes from the International Code of Signals. Maybe it is a coincidence but interesting none the less, that Our Divers down Flag is Red and White..... Oh and a Ship that is conducting dive Operations at night, Runs Three Lights that Run Vertically and you guessed it... They are Red for top light...White for middle...and Red again on the bottom. Take a look at the Boat's mast the next time your out on a Charter.....

In summary... It's all a matter of Courtesy and it works both ways....

Happy and safe diving to All

Cliff Crayven
ahhh I mean

Perhaps Quebec is different, but I have heard of a few groups being fined for no flag diving in various lakes on the quebec side, Lac Leamy is one. Having never personally seen a ticket though, maybe it is only rumor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom