Surface Marker Buoy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like @Phil_C my SMB of choice is the AP one with the crack bottle. I wouldn't suggest it as a first timer as I firmly believe you need to know how to manually inflate one. I also carry a "huge jumbo" one for Oh **** moments on the surface

I've seen too many dive guides inflate their dsmb by what ever "cool method" they choose to impress others, but the fact is it only sits vertical by a few inches above the surface - not easy to see from a pick up boat. indeed when I was in Thailand the sea state had changed. The Guide launched their dsmb just before the SS and all was goign well until we got the V (hull signal) and went down to avoid the pick up boat (for another set of divers). Afte teh Third hull signal (busy site) I launched my self inflating dsmb. I guess it must have broke the surface like a sub launched missile - no matter there was no more hull action. it did it's job.

My Fav DSMB is my INFLATABLE GOAT (yes really) much time has been misspent in the pool carefully duct taping string loops to it's legs to ensure when it hits the surface it seems to be walking on water. I get to use it on Liveaboards at the end of the check dive when they want to see you fly a DSMB - always gets a huge laugh from the dive staff, breaks the ice properly and gets us much more latitude from them for our diving. I'll hunt for pictures on my old computer

Last edited:
My Fav DSMB is my INFLATABLE GOAT (yes really) much time has been misspent in the pool carefully duct taping string loos to it's legs to ensure when it hits the surface it seems to be walking on water. I get to use it on Liveaboards at the end of the check dive when they want to see you fly a DSMB - always gets a huge laugh from the dive staff, breaks the ice properly and gets us much more latitude from them for our diving. I'll hunt for pictures on my old computer

I'd like to see that.

Tobin

I'm quite partial to the halcyon 4.5ft closed bottom. I inflate with my drysuit hose from anywhere between 21-30m (depends on the dive).

Like @Phil_C My Fav DSMB is my INFLATABLE GOAT (yes really) much time has been misspent in the pool carefully duct taping string loops to it's legs to ensure when it hits the surface it seems to be walking on water. I get to use it on Liveaboards at the end of the check dive when they want to see you fly a DSMB - always gets a huge laugh from the dive staff, breaks the ice properly and gets us much more latitude from them for our diving. I'll hunt for pictures on my old computer

Now that is a classic - would love to see that in action!

Now that is a classic - would love to see that in action!

Of course, you're a Scotsman. Oh, that's sheep, not goat. Never mind.

Of course, you're a Scotsman. Oh, that's sheep, not goat. Never mind.
I am from the civilised bit (Edinburgh) - you are confusing me with an Aberdonian (where men are men and sheep run scared)!

Like @Phil_C

My Fav DSMB is my INFLATABLE GOAT (yes really) much time has been misspent in the pool carefully duct taping string loops to it's legs to ensure when it hits the surface it seems to be walking on water. I get to use it on Liveaboards at the end of the check dive when they want to see you fly a DSMB - always gets a huge laugh from the dive staff, breaks the ice properly and gets us much more latitude from them for our diving. I'll hunt for pictures on my old computer

This is priceless, I have seen a blow up doll used, but never a goat.

As for an SMB, I use a 6'. I recommend getting used to deploying one using a smaller one, but a large one when diving from boats is good, especially if you drift off a site. Coming from the stand point of working on a boat, it is much easier for me to spot you in the water with a nice big marker, but make sure to keep tension on it to keep it standing. This is the biggest mistake I see, even DM's on trips I have been on inflate let it go to the surface and it flops over, no tension on it. No point in even having one at that point really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom