Surface Swim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ItsBruce

Contributor
Reaction score
Today, my buddy and I overshot the dive boat and had to do a 100 yard surface swim back to it. There was no current to speak of. There were no waves. I used my snorkel rather than the air in my tank. Upon my arrival at the boat, I noticed I was much more tired than had I gone the same distance under water. I've got several theories as to why, but am wondering what anyone else thinks.

Theory 1: I was in a greater hurry to return to the boat and thus worked harder.

Theory 2: I was working harder to breath through the snorkel than if I was breathing from my tank.

Theory 3: Even though my fins were not breaking the surface, the hydrodynamics were not as good as while under water.

Are any of these valid? Is there a better explanation?

I'm thinking something along the lines of the pressure and weight of the air in an opposing force vs the ungravity like properties of being underwater - less air pressure will equal easier movement with less energy exerted.

That PLUS breathing easier from a Reg BC the Reg equalizes the water pressure with each breath. The snorkel does NOT do that with surface air.

:idk:

Sounds about right lol

I did a 200 yd surface swim in my side mount gear for an SDI Solo class the other day--I was surprised at how much work it felt like by the end. I did it on my back, though, no regulator or snorkel involved.

I'd go for #3 and you were probably at a 20 to 30 degree angle while swimming which will waste energy that would be used for foward motion underwater at 0 degrees.

And
4. Doing a 100 yard surface swim in addition to a complete dive.

Bob
---------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I'd say a combination of all 3 items you mentioned. With those conditions at 100 yards and with air left I would take a heading on the boat and drop back down to 8-10 ft and swim underwater. Either that or inflate my BC and swim on my back. Much more relaxed and I hate breathing through a snorkel.

A little bit of everything I think.

You know how when you fill a glass of water to the brim you can get a little mushroom of water clinging to the top. Imagine that but with all the water molecules clinging to your gear.

I think that probably has a little to do with it as well. I forgot what that phenomena is called. Has to do with the water molecule's polarity though.

I agree with Merxlin and g1138..a combination of all 3.

Snorkels present a greater dead air space, more CO2 build-up.

You don't get the full range of motion/economy when using fins at the surface.

Surface swimming offers few distractions/sights or reasons to go slow... so you might be more inclined to fin fast than you would underwater.

I just swim on my back, no snorkel, no rush.. gentle fin strokes... chatting and enjoying myself.

What type of BC do you have? My first BC was the wrap around type that encircled my ribs and waist. Inflated at the surface during swims, it constricted me making breathing a bit harder. Going to a back inflate (BP/W) fixed it for me. This is not to start a BP/W debate, just what my experience was and a possible cause for the OP.

They could all be valid ... plus ...

4. You aren't used to surface swimming.

Surface swimming uses different muscles than underwater swimming ... when I first started doing it, I used to tire quickly. Once you've done it for a while, those muscles don't tire as easily.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A little bit of everything I think.

You know how when you fill a glass of water to the brim you can get a little mushroom of water clinging to the top. Imagine that but with all the water molecules clinging to your gear.

I think that probably has a little to do with it as well. I forgot what that phenomena is called. Has to do with the water molecule's polarity though.

Surface Tension

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom