Surfing vs Scuba Diving Thrill / Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I with many must say not much of a comparison other than the wetsuits and water factor. Very different sports at least to me anyways. I really dont have any dives yet as I have yet to get my OW cert (but will soon), although I have been snorkling. I know its not really the same but somewhat close as in the sense of bringing yourself closer to the underwater world. Well.......later as I go get my certification.

I've recently taken to windsurfing, so slightly different again, but I it's a great way of spending a weekend when I don't get to dive. Might be a better alternative for you than surfing as I hear the balancing is easier.

Like everyone has said, very different sports but that's a good thing, it stops me getting bored of any one

SURFING HANDS DOWN

STOKE STAYS W/ YOU ALL DAY
stoke in diving is rather subdued. As a hawaiian x-surfer I can say nothing comes close to peeling down the face of a 20 footer. BUT now as a 40year old I dont have the agility. But I dream of the waves occassionally...bliss...

circusoflife:
Are there any divers here who also surf?

I'm a certified scuba diver with about 60 dives in various parts of the world. I've experienced many thrilling high adrenaline dives. Far more variety than the # of dives that I actually have (See profile for list of locations). Many more places I still want to scuba dive, but I've been thinking.....about surfing too.

I tried to learn how to surf a couple of times on my own when I lived in Southern California, but with no success. I'm thinking of taking a formal class in Costa Rica, or some other place in the world.

So my question is - how do you compare the thrill / adrenaline rush of surfing vs scuba diving?

Assuming that you are proficient at each, and ideally that you have traveled around the world to do one or the other at any particular time.
Different. I use a longboard and usually don't go out if it is more than shoulder high. Even then there is nothing like the take off on a board. But then to me there is nothing like "flying" over a reef on a drift dive. If you are talking "rush" however, it is surfing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom