Suunto and Mares computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hongrace

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Suunto and Mares both use RGBM on their dive computers. Most people agree that Suuntos are conservative. Is it also true for Mares?

I use a Mares Nemo as a back up/standalone. It is far more conservative than my Aeris Elite.

I had a Suunto Cobra that I passed down to my daughter. It remains as the only dive computer I've ever had repeated problems with. I don't recall comparing the two against one another.

She now uses the Mares as her prime computer. Suunto makes a great compass (SK-7) but I'll never buy a dive computer from them again.

See this thread, which is stickied at the top of this forum: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...zers/305374-so-you-want-buy-new-computer.html

That says that Mares use a modified Haldanean algorithm, more like Oceanics, not RGBM like Suunto. I don't know, maybe Rhone Man was mistaken, or maybe Mares does both in different models. But you might find the discussion useful wrt the question you're asking, and you might want to revisit your assumptions, and possibly query Rhone Man.

FWIW, just to balance Brishar's comment, I use a Suunto Cobra and I'm quite happy with it, and bought another for my wife. No problems with either.

All Mares Computers that they sell currently are RGBM based; you can find this information on the Mares website under dive computers. If you are looking for the best price on a computer have you visited the Leisure Pro website? Leisure Pro has both Mares and Suunto computers along with almost every other manufactures. Please visit our site and if you have any further questions feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Leisure Proski

In fact even Oceanic now makes computers with an algorithm that is similar to Suunto's in conservativeness-- the dual algorithm. Personally I think the era of the liberal computer is passing.

Adam

I have a Mares M2, my wife has a Suunto Mosquito, both RGBM and set for 1.4 PO2. Never a hiccup with either computer. Although we don't stick together like glue while diving, quick comparisons during dives showed nearly identical NDL using air and EAN. Multi-day diving is also very close to the same.

My personal observations are that: (1) on SB many people claim to have Suunto computers; and (2) many people on SB complain about persistent problems with their Suuntos. On SB I do not recall having read anywhere near the number of complaints about all other computers combined as I have about Suuntos.

I do not have a Suunto. I do not plan to ever get one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom