Suunto Cobra, is it a good choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a Cobra 2 for a while and it was great, when it worked. The first time I had it out in open water the battery compartment flooded (I hadn't removed the outer cover or touched the battery compartment, so it wasn't user error). I sent it back in to Suunto and requested a replacement. They decided to simply change the battery, test it, and send it back saying was ok. I will give them some credit in that the unit did work flawlessly after that for several months. However, one time in the pool it decided to go completely bonkers. For some reason it thought the pool was over 400 feet deep and it thought I was bouncing from 20 feet, to 400 feet, back to 100 feet, then back to 400 feet. The thing was beeping like crazy. Finally it just went to an error message. It was promptly sent back to Suunto who didn't even question it and sent me a brand new unit. Suunto's customer service was great and very fast at getting me the new unit. I decided not to use the new unit and sold it off instead. I am sure I just got a bad unit the first time as there are 1,000 of people out there using Cobra's without any problems, I just didn't trust it anymore.

So, kudos to Suunto customer service, but unfortunately I don't think I will be buying a Cobra ever again.

Also, I never could get used to that electronic compass. Most people seemed to love it, but I like the old school regular compass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom