Suunto Cobra Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QQQ99999:
Sorry to hijack this thread, but how should a computer be washed? Should it just be soaked or is there a particular area on the Cobra to ensure is rinsed thoroughly?

I primarily dive in fresh water so I've never washed my two Suunto computers other than a quick rinse with a hose. However, I have had to use a pencil eraser to clean off the the metal contacts. I do this whenever I start to have issues turning the computer on manually or switching screens. I say manually because the computers have never failed to turn on automatically when immersed in water.

Paula

Farmer Dan:
I have read several good reviews regarding the Suunto Cobra computers, but I had a problem with mine recently that I hope is rare.
I've had a couple of (what I thought) was bizarre readings on my Cobra - both times were on dives where (I think) I had violated the "continuously exceeded the 33 feet per minute" rule built into the computer. Anyway, that was 2 incidences out of 55 dives, and on both occasions it worked flawlessly on the very next dive after an hour or two Surface Interval. Still it's disconcerting to be 20 feet down and have it tell you you're at 0.

Jerry

I have 18 dives with my Cobra no problems so far.

Air Time FREEK OUT. My Cobra, had been working great. Went to Key Largo ( carried computer with me on plane). First dive of my mini vacation Pressure and Air Time start to freek-out. Both drop to Zero, then slowly start to count back up to "correct" psi and air time. It did it several times, wound up having to rent computer and guage. Send it into authorised repair shop, they cant find anything wrong, but replace O ring on quick release. Take it for a dive a week later, the exact same thing ( now I have back up analog pressure guage, and gecko computer ). Now it is on its way to Suunto.
Has any one run into this ?

Has any one run into this ?

DEAD THREAD WALKING!

I've had the same thing happen on my Vytec DS, which is quite similar to the Cobra. It would make sense that the remaining time would be off as the PSI was off, so I'm guessing there's a problem with the pressure reading. Only happened one time to me, on a 35' drift dive in Pompano Beach.

I'm using the same Cobra, 100+ dives no problems so far

I have a Cobra, my husband a Vyper. Three years and 150+ dives on each and no problems. We have ours serviced by our LDS each year and treat them with respect. Best fishes!

Exactly what does your LDS do when they annually "service" your computers?

I had an issue with my Cobra on Bonaire last month. 150+ dives on it.

Geared up for the dive and checked my air(3000psi). After entering the water the Cobra went into and stuck in battery test mode(battery ok BTW). Completed the dive using my Vyper w/time and depth. No backup SPG, so I checked tank psi after the dive(1200psi left).

Still stuck in battery test, I "reracked" the batteries. Fixed the problem and I dove another week with it without issues. Only problem I've had so far. FYI

Im waiting to see what Suunto has to say. Im kind of dreading the news.
All the people I have run into ( in person) , have never had a problem with their Cobra's and "love " them. I was just wondering if it was an anomaly .

Back
Top Bottom