Suunto D9 and Air Integrated (AI) Reliability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antarctic-Adventurer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can anyone comment who has had first hand experience of the reliability of the wireless transmitter on the D9? I would dearly love to get one but I have heard some reports that the AI is touchy. Any personal experiences positive or negative would be useful.

Cherrs, AA

I've read those reports...they sound mostly like user negligence. It works perfectly if setup correctly...when i get on the boat I setup all my gear, pressurize the regulator while holding D9 close to first stage, link is achieved...i depressurize tank...when I get the 10 min warning to dive I pressurize again and double check the link...works every time.

Also i've been in the water with 3/4 other D9 users and we've never had any interference problems.

Cheers.

-J.-

Ditto, I also have had no problems with my D-9. Just follow the directions and all is well

Same here, my D9 has worked flawlessly. Once you learn how to get the AI linked up it's no problem at all. I don't think it has ever lost it's link, even for a moment, while I was diving. I can't say that for other AI dive computers I have used, but they were older and apparently things have progressed since then...

Once you can't sync the code before hitting the water, a base unit can't get any signal in UW. So, you have to make sure that you sync before actullying being water.

Most people isn't patient enough to wait for the sync. Been there done that many times..

Can anyone comment who has had first hand experience of the reliability of the wireless transmitter on the D9? I would dearly love to get one but I have heard some reports that the AI is touchy. Any personal experiences positive or negative would be useful.

Cherrs, AA

I can comment on the reliability of the Suunto Vytec hoseless computer. My experience has not been good. A little background info: I own 2 Suunto Cobras, 1 Suunto Vytec, and 1 Oceanic VT 3. I have over 1,000 dives on the Suunto technology and know how to operate the equipment. I have had no problems whatsoever with the Cobras and no problem with the Vytec wrist unit but the air integrated feature (the transmitter) has been a nightmare.

I purchased the unit from a local Suunto dealer and have no problem with them. They did everything expected of them. I still like the Suunto program because it computes air usage on each dive and average depth of the dive. The Oceanic does not do this. I am not even upset with Suunto (they eventually gave me a new computer and transmitter which has since failed). There is no anger here, just reporting my experience.

1/26/06 Purchased Vytec from dealer.

3/22/06 Boynton Beach, computer fails to link up twice (dives 543 & 544)
Unit sent to Suunto and returned with replacement transmitter.

9/22/06 Key Largo, at 100+ feet, transmitter fails (dive 739). Computer will
not accept code, Suunto tech support shows me, over the phone,
a different method of resetting computer. This seems to work for
a while.

11/12/06 Devil's Den, computer will not display pressure, will not accept code
(dives 799, 800, 801). At request of Suunto computer is sent to repair
facility in Tampa. As part of the repair the "battery in the wrist unit
was examined" and "a small piece of plastic was found under the
battery in the transmitter".

12/16/06 Key Largo, computer battery chamber floods, computer will not link.
This occurs on dive 802, immediately after repairs and checking of
battery chamber.

1/28/07 Suunto finally accepts the fact that I have a "lemon" and does the
right thing. They send me a brand new computer and transmitter.

7/31/07 Key Largo, new transmitter fails, will not link (dives 995 & 996).
Since this was a replacement computer I am told there is no warranty.

I am currently using the Oceanic. It works but I prefer the information offered by the Suunto. The Suunto computer is great but the transmitter has problems. Again, no anger here, just passing on my experience.

7/31/07 Key Largo, new transmitter fails, will not link (dives 995 & 996).
Since this was a replacement computer I am told there is no warranty.

I am currently using the Oceanic. It works but I prefer the information offered by the Suunto. The Suunto computer is great but the transmitter has problems. Again, no anger here, just passing on my experience.

Wow... You have added a lot of logs on your D9.. I also got the first batch of D9 after waiting almost 4~6 month.

I add up around 300 dives, but it works great so far except their recall delay.

As we read a recent thread, their replacment unit comes with 90 day warranty as I recall. Why does Suunto have any solid policy on their replacement warranty?

In addition, their replacement unit used to die very soon based on the post. It means that they are sending out another lemon unit.

I agree with Oceanic. I bought it again, I wouuld grab the Oceanic Atom 2. However, Oceanic has also some customer service issues based on the recent posts. So, be wise to get the Oceanic unit from a reliable vendors, such as ScubaToys, DiveSports, or Dive Right in Scuba. Otherwise, you have to get through a long hassle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom