Suunto depth sensor failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree with that. <Snipped>

It's certainly not reasonable for a consumer to run simulations to see if the computer is reading right. One just assumes the computer gives the right numbers.

Adam

Which makes as much sense as saying "It's certainly not reasonable for a consumer to do preventive maintenance on their car" because we can always wait for something to fail and then claim the manufacturer should have built it better.

Dive computers are great but they should be used properly. One of the guidelines for using a dive computer is to compare your readings to your buddy's dive computer & follow the most conservative. If your buddy's computer is saying 15 minutes of no-deco time and yours is saying 35 minutes then you sure as heck should question it ASAP.

Verifying that your computer is properly calculating No-deco times is a small bit of maintenance that you should do regularly (or at least for as long as you value your health).

Bob, I agree, but that is a bad example. Preventative Maintenance is required in order to keep your Auto warranty in place. Failure to perform the routine maintenance will render your warranty null and void generally. So, if I completely ignored oil changes, tire rotations, brake jobs, etc....then I would expect to pay the consequences myself.

But, you hit on a good point. I am a noob when it comes to dive computers. So I will just ask? What kind of maintenance does one perform on dive computers? Are there procedures one must perform to keep them in good working condition? Obviously you need to change batteries occasionally and probably would need to replace o-rings that seal the battery compartment. What else though? I know it is suggested to have BC's and Regs serviced either annually or every two years, do you do the same with a dive computer?

Also, I have a kind of unrelated question, and maybe this is covered in other forums. I have been reading a lot about dive computers and how liberal some are and conservative others are. RGBM algorithms and Haldanian algorithms, and DSAT. One of the reasons I would like to get a computer is because I would like to maximize my dive time, and if I am doing a multi-level dive, the dive tables don't take that into account. But, at the same time, the whole point is to avoid DCS, right? So, a conservative model would be the safest route. Whereas a more liberal model would give me more dive time, and still should keep it safe, right? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or, maybe can point me in the right direction?

Thanks everyone!! :)

Bob, I agree, but that is a bad example. Preventative Maintenance is required in order to keep your Auto warranty in place. Failure to perform the routine maintenance will render your warranty null and void generally. So, if I completely ignored oil changes, tire rotations, brake jobs, etc....then I would expect to pay the consequences myself.

Actually preventive maintenance has nothing to with the warranty. It is to PREVENT catastrophic failure of a critical operating component. I have 2 cars, one's 12 yrs old the other 2 yrs old. Only one still has a warranty but they both get oil change every 5,000 miles/6 months and other Preventive Check-ups.

True manufacturers require to to keep up their PM Schedule but that doesn't mean PM stops when the warranty expires.

But, you hit on a good point. I am a noob when it comes to dive computers. So I will just ask? What kind of maintenance does one perform on dive computers? Are there procedures one must perform to keep them in good working condition? Obviously you need to change batteries occasionally and probably would need to replace o-rings that seal the battery compartment. What else though? I know it is suggested to have BC's and Regs serviced either annually or every two years, do you do the same with a dive computer?

While they're under warranty my Suunto Computers will see the LDS once a year for the Battery/o-ring replacement (2 still are the 3rd isn't).

Additional PM Steps:

Rinse in running tap water after each day/weekend of diving.

Always make a visual inspection of the Computer and Transmitter after they have dried from the wash (as I'm repacking them).

Compare my computer's display to at least 1 other Suunto (because the use the same RGBM) every few dives to be sure it's working properly.

Also, I have a kind of unrelated question, and maybe this is covered in other forums. I have been reading a lot about dive computers and how liberal some are and conservative others are. RGBM algorithms and Haldanian algorithms, and DSAT. One of the reasons I would like to get a computer is because I would like to maximize my dive time, and if I am doing a multi-level dive, the dive tables don't take that into account. But, at the same time, the whole point is to avoid DCS, right? So, a conservative model would be the safest route. Whereas a more liberal model would give me more dive time, and still should keep it safe, right? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or, maybe can point me in the right direction?

If you're young & in good physical shape then yes you're relatively safe switching to a less conservative model.

OTOH, if you're older or have health concerns you should keep with a conservative model.

I dive the default settings on my Suunto Computers and am comfortable with the Bottom Time I get.

Compare my computer's display to at least 1 other Suunto (because the use the same RGBM) every few dives to be sure it's working properly.

I do not recall what my Suunto manual said....does it actually say to do this? If it is that is the best marketing scheme around because I am the only one of my immediate dive group that dives Suunto so this would be (is) impossible for me to do. If they actually put that in there (it has been 6 years since I read my manual) then they have really fallen to the bootom in my books.

No, what I meant was that if you decide you are not going to do your oil changes and you suffer catastrophic failure as a result, I guarantee the dealer is not going to honor the warranty on that repair.

Thanks for the other insights. I guess I would consider myself to be in the older and not the greatest of shape. So, I think I would be better off with a more conservative model then.

As for the battery changes...I was under the impression these were generally user-replaceable. What is a typical charge for having the battery replaced by the LDS? Do you always replace the o-ring when you replace the battery? Thanks.

No, what I meant was that if you decide you are not going to do your oil changes and you suffer catastrophic failure as a result, I guarantee the dealer is not going to honor the warranty on that repair.

Thanks for the other insights. I guess I would consider myself to be in the older and not the greatest of shape. So, I think I would be better off with a more conservative model then.

As for the battery changes...I was under the impression these were generally user-replaceable. What is a typical charge for having the battery replaced by the LDS? Do you always replace the o-ring when you replace the battery? Thanks.

Most if not all Suunto computers are listed as NOT user replaceable however my LDS does it on site. I believe it cost me about $25 (don't quote me on this cost though) and he offered to do it while I waited.

I do not recall what my Suunto manual said....does it actually say to do this? If it is that is the best marketing scheme around because I am the only one of my immediate dive group that dives Suunto so this would be (is) impossible for me to do. If they actually put that in there (it has been 6 years since I read my manual) then they have really fallen to the bootom in my books.

Hey ScubaSteve...I just looked at the Suunto Vyper manual and did not see anything in there that recommended this. However, it's not a bad idea if you happen to have another similar model handy. ;-) I guess when I get computers for my wife and I, we would be able to do this, but like you said, would be kinda tough if you are the only one in your group with a computer.

Most if not all Suunto computers are listed as NOT user replaceable however my LDS does it on site. I believe it cost me about $25 (don't quote me on this cost though) and he offered to do it while I waited.

That sounds fairly reasonable. I guess it is pretty similar to replacing a watch battery. You usually have a professional replace that for you as well, unless you want to take a chance on screwing it up.

ScubaSteve, thanks for answering the follow-up questions....

Regarding my comparing my computers, No I don't do it because of a recommendation by Suunto. It's my extension of PADI's basic guidelines for diving with computers. PADI recommends that you compare you computer & your buddy's and follow the most conservative computer so if your DC says you have 10 mins of NDL and buddy's says 15 mins you both limit yourself to the 10 mins. I just figured that the easiest way to ensure it's still calculating & reading sensors properly is to bring one of the others along for the ride.

I'd like to point out, from someone who had to use Suunto computers for three years, that, If you have a choice, NEVER buy a SUUNTO. They are fragile, un-reliable and they are conservative to the point of stupidity. I had always used Uwatec, but worked for a shop that sold Suunto and had to use their products. I am no longer afiliated with that shop and it took me 3 days to sell my Suunto for next to nothing and replace it with a Uwatec. My opinion? Don't waste your money on a Suunto. I have seen nothing but unreliability and endless software issues in dealing with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom