Suunto discounted stores???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

somewhereinla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am thinking to get a Suunto Gekko. I saw a few internet discount stores selling them, such as Leisure pro, Divetank, etc... I was under the impression that suunto watches could not be sold over the internet, and if you bought a watch from such a store, you would loose the warranty...Is it true? Has anyone bought their dive computer from either Leisure pro or Divetank?

Cheers.

Divetank does not sell over the internet as such. They just advertise on their website that they sell Suunto. You have to call them for pricing. I have never used Leisure Pro but I don't think you will get a Suunto warranty.

Some watch stores used to sell Suunto computer as a watch, not as a computer.

I was told that Suunto recently bans internet watch store from selling any dive computers. They might still have some inventory though. Actually, Suunto dive computer only has two years warranty period as I recall. So, it is your call...

hoosier:
Some watch stores used to see Suunto computer as a watch, not as a computer.

I was told that Suunto recently bans internet watch store from selling any dive computers. They might still have some inventory though. Actually, Suunto dive computer only has two years warranty period as I recall. So, it is your call...

Actualy one clarification, it is AquaLung that is making the rules. They are the NA distributor for Suunto dive products. (Suunto NA distributes everything else).

But yes, seems AquaLung is putting their foot down. As used to be able to find D3 out there as well.

Two years full warranty after that it is prorated. LeisurePro will match any manufacturer's warranty. Do a search on a Cobra as you will find LP does seem to holding up the warranty.

Scared Silly:
Actualy one clarification, it is AquaLung that is making the rules. They are the NA distributor for Suunto.

But yes, seems AquaLung is putting their foot down. As used to be able to find D3 out there as well.

Two years full warranty after that it is prorated. LeisurePro will match any manufacturer's warranty. Do a search on a Cobra as you will find LP does seem to holding up the warranty.

I know that AquaLung is a distributor for N. America, but I am not sure if the watch stores are also using the same source because Suunto watch/computer aren't limited only in a dive equipment. For example, there is a watch specialized for the moutain climbing. Is this also supplied by Aquq Long?

Sorry, I should have been more clear as I left this out:

AquaLung is the NA distributor for Suunto dive products. Suunto NA distributes everything else.

Which is why you could get the watches, D3, Stinger, etc. over the internet - they were both a watch and a dive computer. So both could distribute. Still can find them in a few places.

A friend's brother heads up the parent company the owns Suunto NA.

I believe DiveTank is owned by/affiliated with Suunto in someway, if I remember correctly from the paperwork that was included in my order a year ago. You do have to call them to get pricing. I would think Suunto's two year warranty would therefore apply in this instance. LeisurePro, as has been pointed out, provides their own warranty coverage, not from the manufacturer.

Scared Silly:
Sorry, I should have been more clear as I left this out:

AquaLung is the NA distributor for Suunto dive products. Suunto NA distributes everything else.

Which is why you could get the watches, D3, Stinger, etc. over the internet - they were both a watch and a dive computer. So both could distribute. Still can find them in a few places.

A friend's brother heads up the parent company the owns Suunto NA.

As I know, the watch stores haven't gotten any dive products directly from AquaLung, but from Suunto. Therefore, their sale on the dive equipment has been possible over internet However, their sale on the dive computer has been an issue due to a large numeber of sale and warrnaty issue. So, Suunto decided not to supply a dive computers to the watch stores anymore (Of course, AquaLung complained) The watch stores haven't been related with AquaLung at all from the begining. Even, they don't care what AquaLung has complained so far. That's my understanding.

Not to start another debate, but what's wrong with Aqualung and their internet policy??? I don't buy all my stuff on the internet, but I do start my research on the net. This is where I narrow down my choices and compare prices as well as putting a budget together. So that if I choose to buy from a store, I have a price in mind I can negotiate with. I never consider Aqualung because the don't have any advertised prices... Their loss...and mine!
I am sure they loose more business than they gain, you can't be afraid to be competitive, we live in a free market.

SomeWhereInLA - Do a quick look in the General Scuba discussion for a very lengthy thread on AL. Basically AL does not allow internet sales. So AL and Suunto Dive products are hard to find $$.

Hoosier - I think you have the story correct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom