Suunto Gekko Backlight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepseafalcon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have the Suunto Gekko and shine some light on how well the Phosphorescent Display works?

To me, that seems to be about the only noticable difference to the more expensive Vyper, as I won't need PC download or gauge mode or 150m max depth.

==> how bright is it? Suunto claims "superbright" - is it comparable to a typical electrolum. backlight?
==> how long does it stay charged? I have the feeling that it could actually be an ADVANTAGE to have this type of illumination - if it stays on for more than just a few minutes...
==> how long does it need to be charged?

Thanks!
d-s-f

just had a look at it at a local dive shop
have to say I am less than impressed:
not exactly very bright, and, most importantly, lasts only quite a short time (1, maybe 2min).
So in essence one would have to "charge" the backlight every time one looks at the computer - diminishes to point of a backlight :(

Did you look at it in a lighted area or find someplace dark? It's not going to look very bright in the daytime but I find it sufficiently bright on a night dive. You do wind up charging it to look at it most times during the dive, you just don't have to keep your light on it to read it. But it's sufficient to watch for a good stretch of an ascent.

Anyone have experience with the Gekko's "light" underwater? I was pretty sold on the Vyper, but I have a Citizen dive watch with download capabilty, so one other thing that would seperate the Vyper from the Gekko would be the backlight in the Vyper and the price.

Does the Gekko "hold a charge" from a dive light like a basic depth/air gauge would? Better worse? Doesn't the Vyper also light up with warning beeps, rapid ascent, and safety stop, anytime else? Did Vyper owners find that useful?

1-2 mins is great! the back light on the Vtper only stayes on for a few secs.

pilot81:
There is also the dive planning that Vyper has which the Gecko does not have.
There are warning beeps but it doesn't light up automatically.
This might be a stupid question....but what is the dive planning that the vyper has that the gekko does not have? I believe that the mosquito has this dive planning as well?

I dive with a Gekko, and if it is too dark to see the face, the Vis is rubbish or it’s a night dive, either way, I tend also then to be carrying at least 2 torches. No backlight, no problem I carry the light with me.

Happy diving

Bobco

As bobco said, when your diving at night, your flashlight is more than enough light. A backlight just kills the batteries early. I dive the Gekko and have never had a problem with not being able to see the display.

I just returned my Gekko and upgraded to the Cobra for the backlight, and air integration. I have to say that the brightness on the Gekko isn't close to the backlight!

Back
Top Bottom