Suunto Gekko computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's the only computer I've ever used, so I don't have much to compare it to, but it works for me. I've been able to read it OK on night dives. It's simple and easy to use. Of the brands I was familiar with, it was the lowest price.

I've used my Gekko on about 40 dives so far, after it replaced an old and still perfectly functional Suunto Solution, which couldn't handle the switch to Nitrox.

Seems to me that it's easy to read, easy to set your O2 percentage if using Nitrox, and quite reliable. Nothing fancy, but a good computer at a pretty good price.

Considering buying one... any thoughts/experiences? reccommend or no? thanks

==========================================

Pretty hard to beat for the price unless of course you are impressed with a lot of features that sound great but you'll never end up using.

Seriously ...for typical recreational diving on air or nitrox it is a great little computer. Easy to learn, easy to use, dependable and maybe most important ...very affordable.

'Slogger

I'm happy with mine and ditto to all the positive points relayed above.

I concur with all of the above comments about the Gekko.
My wife has the Cobra 2, and while she likes it, I think it is harder to use if you only use it occasionally. I like my Gekko better because I can use it easily after not diving for several weeks.
If you want to download data, the Gekko only does this with a software download that I've seen on the board and a Suunto cable.
The Gekko doesn't have a backlight, but if you shine your light on it, it glows well enough to see the display.

Just another one agreeing with what everyone has said. I have almost 300 dives on this computer and it is still going great. it is slightly conservative but...

One more vote in favour of the Suunto Gekko, I did 65 dives with mine, no trouble, easy to use, easy to read, just love it.

For simplicity and reliability in a nitrox capable computer, the Gekko is about as good as it gets.

I've recommended the Gekko to several divers around me, and mine has served me well for many dives. :biggrin:

It's certainly not a tech-diving-compatible computer (nor priced like one :eek:), but it's great for anyone who dives with only one air or nitrox mix in their normal recreational diving.

Back
Top Bottom