Suunto Tech RGBM vs Fused RGBM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suunto is really in bed with rgbm commercially aren't they. It's irresponsible to place commercial profits over the safety of divers just so you can sell a proprietary deco model computer. Its like insisting the earth is the center of the galaxy and trying to model your space programs on that.

Suunto is really in bed with rgbm commercially aren't they. It's irresponsible to place commercial profits over the safety of divers just so you can sell a proprietary deco model computer. Its like insisting the earth is the center of the galaxy and trying to model your space programs on that.
There are several companies that use some variation of a RGBM-based decompression algorithm, Suunto, Mares, Cressi, Atomic. I think that they may have made this commitment at a time when this model was considerably more popular than it is now. Once they developed and implemented their models, they were committed for the long term. It would be expensive and time consuming for them to go back and start over with an alternative decompression algorithm.

Pelagic Pressure Systems (Oceanic, previously Aeris) are the only computers I can think of that routinely offer 2 different decompression algorithms (DSAT and PZ+). I'm not counting computers running Buhlmann ZH-L16C with the option of also running VPM. Things may have changed, but last I heard, the Deep Six computer will run a RGBM variant and Buhlmann ZH-L16C with several fixed GFs

Luckily, we all have the opportunity to choose computers and decompression algorithms that are best for us. One problem is that many divers know very little about this topic and make uneducated decisions.

Suunto is really in bed with rgbm commercially aren't they. It's irresponsible to place commercial profits over the safety of divers...

RGBM is a commercial model... SUUNTO would have bought it, rather than implementing a free open-source algorithm.

That doesn't sound like greed to me.

What it does sound like is a phobia to potential litigation... and separating liability/responsibility for the algorithm to a 3rd party.

On the whole, I get the feeling that SUUNTO is very liability adverse with its dive computers. That's why they dictate, rather than empower user decisions (like, for instance, Shearwater do).

My recommendation is don't buy any RGBM crap, unless you are going to use it in gauge mode, like I do with my Mares Puck. Buy something that does Buhlmann and allows you to set the gradient factor (GF).

If I was a tech instructor, and someone showed up in my class with a Suunto Computer, I'd send them home along with their split fins. :)
When I first ventured into tec dive in 1998, tec computer was NOT an viable option. VR3 was treated as the best thing since slice bread. So I learned it by using dedicated IANTD's tec table all the way to Trimix. And I still have a pile of these yellow soft tables(air, different nitrox mixes and trimix) in my cupboard somewhere.
Bottom timers will do me. Since 1998 I had only discarded two Uwatec bottom timers and nothing else.

Most Suunto computer if not all has gauge mode and how about Force fins?
I assume you had made it clear to your student before they turned up on your door step. That won't be funny.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom