Suunto Viper vs. Mosquito

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydroslyder

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking into getting the suunto viper or mosquito, and the only differences I have noticed are that the viper has a dive simulator, and the mosquito has a dive planner. What is the difference, is this difference going to make a difference in the functionality of the computer, and which computer would you recommend.

Thanks for all of your help!

I would also recomend the Vyper. The larger display is easier to read while diving and you have the option of wrist or console mounting for any given dive. I've also not heard good things about the strap extender for the mosquito and adjusting between dive length and casual length was a deterent for me.

Hi ?

Does the Vyper keep track of start/stop time 1-12 am/pm ?
Wasn't sure from the lit if it acts as a watch during the dive or not.
What is a calendar/clock ?
If not I'll go with the Mosquito personally. Even though the wifey already ordered the Vyper for me for x-mas.

TIA Jeff

So Cal Divin once bubbled...
Hi ?

Does the Vyper keep track of start/stop time 1-12 am/pm ?

It does indeed....

I'd go with the Vyper...I've used the wrist mount version for six months and like it alot.

This probably won't matter to you, but the Mosquito does not have a proper gauge mode, which is a hindrance if you want to go into Tech Diving or go DIR. The Vyper does.

- Joel

Just want to make sure you and I understand correctly.
Sorry to be persistent but can you please confirm it for me through my example:1st Dive 12/24/03 9:15 am 35' for 45 min. 57 deg etc.
Is this the info the Vyper would provide me in air mode without the pc interface?
Either way sounds like I can't lose with the choice I've made.

Thanks Jeff

Vyper is a fine rig

My wife and I just bought Vypers. But because of its smaller size my wife was initially leaning toward the mosquito. But when we compared the two, side by side, it was pretty clear she would have a hard time reading the dive information on the Mosquito's smaller face.

hydroslyder:
I am looking into getting the suunto viper or mosquito, and the only differences I have noticed are that the viper has a dive simulator, and the mosquito has a dive planner. What is the difference, is this difference going to make a difference in the functionality of the computer, and which computer would you recommend.

I have a vyper and am pretty happy with it (if you get one buy one of jamiei's download kits... trust me!). The planning feature lets you plan your next dive taking into account you last dive, surface interval, etc. Nice feature while you're sitting around between dives. The simulation feature lets you plan out a series of hypothetical dives, it's a nice feature while you're sitting around at home during your extended surface interval. The way I see it, the planning feature is like checking the tables to get your adjusted NDLs for you next dive and the simulation feature is like using the tables to plan out a day's worth of dives. IMO, for a computer to be useful you need both aspects, without them you're just jumping in the water blind.

Back
Top Bottom