Suunto vs Uwatec Nitrox computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B White

Reaction score
Would like to hear some arguments on wheather the Uwatec or the Suunto nitrox computers are better. No need to get into wrist or console mount or air integrated or not. I am looking for opinions on the quality, features, deco and non deco models, etc.

Thanks and by the way I love the board.

I have a Cobra. It is a very conservative computer. I believe they manual says the program is 10%(it might be 5%) more conservative than the U.S. Navy dive tables. I wouldn't say it is "difficult" to read...it just has a very small screen. It has user replaceable batteries. The PC transfer dive manager is a bit confusing in the direction department. It took me a while to figure out what the heck they were trying to say(Finns) and I know a few other divers have posted questions to this board concerning setting up the PC interface too. I have never used an Uwatec but I wouldn't hesitate to either-most divers sound happy with them.

I have a Uwatec. Wrist mount - integrated. The screen is easy to read. You have to send it in to replace batteries but it's supposed to last 8 years between changes. Mine is 2 years old and still at 83% charge. Thats easy to check. Download software is free but the device is about $200. The download device holds lots of dives so you just take it with you, download the dive computer every night and hook up at home later. You don't have to carry a laptop with you. Easy to download though and keeps a pretty good log along with all the details at 20 second intervals. I'm happy with it. Like Buff says, I hear a lot of good things about the Cobra too.

Tom

My wife and I just shopped for nitrox computers to replace our 6 year old very basic non-nitrox Suunto/TUSA wrist computers. This board and some others were very helpful. We sat down with the user manuals and worked with several computers for 15-30 mins each. We were down to the cobra and the uwatec air Z nitrox both of which are air intergrated. The cobra is very sleek and attractive and I had to keep reminding myself that "cool looking" shouldn't factor into our decision. The Cobra also had the compass option which fits on nicely. The Cobra has many user settable options, but these options fit into multiple layer menus which were difficult to sort thru as a new user. You may get to know them, but with my diving a few times a year, I would always be using the manual to figure out which menu a particular option was in because the menu "titles" weren't particularly intuitive. Needless to say, the flexibility of the Cobra seemed pretty good. Lots of things that you can change without a computer hookup. It also comes with an optional quick disconnect which would be important for us to take back to our room or into the lounge to write our logs.

We chose to look at the Uwatec air Z nitrox rather than the Air ZO2 because the ZO2 eliminated the dive planning options to add a rebreather option. Otherwise, they are the same as far as I know. We use dive planning a lot and don't see ourselves using a rebreather. We bought the Air Z nitrox and used it for a weeklong trip 2 weeks ago. I really like wrist mount so I always know right where it is and so I don't have to deal with keeping a quick disconnect clean. Changing to nitrox is a piece of cake and can be done to any increment of 2% between 22-50. You can dive nitrox and then air and then back to nitrox or whatever combination you like during a day. We bought the software and the memo mouse. The computer stores detailed dive data for about 200 minutes and then you have to move the data to the memo mouse or it spills over and the lose the older data. Memo mouse download is a 10 second deal and can be done for 2 different computers into the same memo mouse. You do need the software for this computer to change some of the alarm levels and a few other settings. We lowered the "high breathing rate" alarm and it was still too sensitive so I can't imagine using the computer without lowering it somewhat, else the alarm would be going off a lot. The software is easy and straight forward.

In summary, I found that the air z was a little more user friendly, I liked the wrist mount, I liked the menu system better, I liked the software and memo mouse, I liked the big digits on the air z, and I liked the overall ease of use. By the way, we bought them with full warranty from simplyscuba.com in the U.K. for half of what it cost here in the U.S. No import duty. Express shipping in two days. While I am a big fan of our local dive shop and supporting them and getting local service, that big a price difference pushed me to the online purchase. I have bought several thousand dollars of gear )(b/c, regs, and more) at our local shop and they have been great.

I own two of these computers. Both are really good recreational computers. Featurewise, I go for Suunto. Uwatec totally locks you out in a violation. Suunto locks out but goes to guage mode giving you at least some info on depth and dive time. This is better than no info at all, especially if you also use your comp as your only depth guage.

Both comps are conservative. Suunto has no buffer for any sudden depth changes/movements so it will sound off more often than an Uwatec. It's more sensitive.

I have the Cobra now, and used to have the Air X Nitrox. If you don't mind the hose the Cobra is a sweet unit. Another unit to look at that is a sweet as can be is the Oceanic Data Trans Plus It's huge display is easy to read, it's easy to program, you can change the batteries yourself, and you can wear it on a retractible lanyard if you choose to not have it on your wrist.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

Ive now read several comments as to the conservative nature of the Cobra in particular and Suunto computers in general. Say you are doing a 4-5 day dive trip and the dive tables say "go" but a conservative computer says "wait/stay". Does this mean a Cobra will not have an override function and only work as a digital gauge? If this is the case, I assume I would have to do a separate manual dive-log entry since the computer would not register my dive, or...???

The Cobra does have the ability to function as just a digital gauge. I've taken mine on multi day trips many times, and am perhaps one of the most aggresive divers out on the boat. So aggresive at times that I either have to switch buddies throughout the trip or do short solo dives. I do however wait at least an hour in between the first few dives of the day, then spread out as I go.

I would say the best course of action I could advise for you is to follow this link, download the Cobra demo and play with it to see if it'll suit your needs.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

Thanks Mario. So, considering you are an aggresive diver, do you think that (only) 18 hours of not diving before flying (short flight, 2 hours) after a 4 day dive trip with 8-9 dives, only 1 dive at 100 feet, others all at max 60 feet, is in order?

I'm not a Doctor Gaucho, but that's something I never take chances with. After repetitive diving trips I force myself (I hate doing it) to wait 24 hours before taking off. I would say that profile is acceptable... but why take the chance?

Back
Top Bottom