Suunto Vyper battery kit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonniex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i have a suunto vyper.. i need to order a backup battery and o ring. can someone tell me what size battery and also what size O Ring I'll need??

very much appreciated!

Read the manual

Battery
• One 3 V lithium battery; CR 2450 (K5597) and O-ring 1,78 mm x 31,47
mm 70 ShA (K5664)

from
SUUNTO
VYPER
USER’S GUIDE

problem is i am in the USA and thats in metric. all the o rings here are sold as measurements in inches

problem is i am in the USA and thats in metric. all the o rings here are sold as measurements in inches

No problem - Just look at any o-ring sizing table like this one:
Size Cross Reference
You'll see the imperial equivalent.

Why do you need new o-ring? If you're just replacing battery there is no need to replace o-ring, IMHO. Batteries are usually available in watch repair shops etc.

The recommendation is to always change the o-ring. If you're careful you probably can reuse the same one but given the cheap price of the oring, much less than the battery, why economise?

One thing I'd look out for: When trying to switch between metric and imperial-sized standard parts, make sure you have some idea about the tolerances that will work, both the manufacturing tolerance of the part and how much variation the receiving device can tolerate. (Just ask anyone who's mixed up metric and imperial screw threads.) Usually this has to come from the manufacturer, but sometimes an outside expert opinion can also supply the needed information, someone who's done or seen it many times, and not just once or twice. Me, I'd hate for my expensive piece of electronics to be converted to a paperweight because of a one-time-in-three problem. Your risk tolerance may vary.

As for being in the States and finding metric o-rings, although your average hardware store may not stock them, some (most?) specialty industrial suppliers do, at least on this side of the 49th parallel, if you haven't tried those yet.

Good luck.

One thing I'd look out for: When trying to switch between metric and imperial-sized standard parts, make sure you have some idea about the tolerances that will work, both the manufacturing tolerance of the part and how much variation the receiving device can tolerate. (Just ask anyone who's mixed up metric and imperial screw threads.) Usually this has to come from the manufacturer, but sometimes an outside expert opinion can also supply the needed information, someone who's done or seen it many times, and not just once or twice. Me, I'd hate for my expensive piece of electronics to be converted to a paperweight because of a one-time-in-three problem. Your risk tolerance may vary.

As for being in the States and finding metric o-rings, although your average hardware store may not stock them, some (most?) specialty industrial suppliers do, at least on this side of the 49th parallel, if you haven't tried those yet.

Good luck.

If you look at the link I posted item -026 and do the conversions you'll see that both measurements and tolerances match for this size of o-ring. The metric measurements were obviously chosen from an original imperial sizing.
This is true for most of the table if not all.

Back
Top Bottom