Suunto Vyper - Factory Reset??? or maybe just memory delete.... anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conforte

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently I purchased a “previously owned” Suunto Vyper computer, which I intend to give to my newly certified daughter. She is 15, just AOW trained and eager to start logging years of dives. Although I realize I can just ignore the 125 previous dives on this used computer, I’d LOVE to reset it to factory and essentially wipe out all the previous dive information. I just plugged it in to my home pc and opened the memory with Suunto’s Dive Manager 3.1… and now I have an extra 125 dive profiles, from the past few years, mixed into my data. Which by the way, includes some pretty aggressive profiles... a few with deco stop warnings... but anyway...

Is there a way to “reset” to factory… or just clear out old dive memory?

Thanks for any instruction or input…

Rob

I recall there is a program on the Internet that will delete the dives on the Vyper. You have to search for it.

Adam

Suunto doesn't support reset.. from their site... 'The memory of a diving computer cannot unfortunately be reset as this is a circle memory. The diving computer will start automatically overwriting the oldest dives when the memory capacity is exceeded. The maximum depth in the history memory can be zeroed but this can be done only in the Dive Manager software.'

But there is a free utility that should allow you to do it (caveat: I haven't done this). See Link... go to Suunto Tools, then download Suunto Eraser. Let us know if this works out.

oops: noticed Arturo beat me to it.

You find the program and get it to work OK?

I am waiting for a Serial to USB converter to arrive.... ($2.00 on eBay... $40.00 at Radio Shack)... anyway... If it exists, I will find it and use it to delete the memory... hopefully damage free... I'll report back as soon as it's done.

Rob

OK.... I'm resetting two Vyper's today.... using the Suunto Dive Computer Erasure Tool....

I'll update later.... hope it doesn't fry the guts... leaving for Cayman in two weeks....

OK.... I'm resetting two Vyper's today.... using the Suunto Dive Computer Erasure Tool....

I'll update later.... hope it doesn't fry the guts... leaving for Cayman in two weeks....

And the verdict is...

Asking because I've two used Vypers I'd like to reset...

I can't speak to the Vyper, but I have done Cobras with that tool, and it works beautifully . . .

- Tim

If you don't want to risk an unknown software messing up your Vyper, there's probably a very easy workaround.
Memory capacity is 36 hours at 20 sec sampling or 18 hours at 10 sec sampling. So if you leave the Vyper in at least 6ft of water for 18 hours after setting the higher sampling rate the memory will all be cleared out and replaced with one single dive that you can then tell the SDM to ignore.
You don't necessarily need a lot of water. Just one section of 3" PVC tube with an end-cap would suffice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom