Suunto Vyper Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It wouldn't. You can get on the plane straight out of the water and it will still happily show 24 hours of no-fly time when cabin pressure drops and your joints start hurting (or as @DuboisP put it "you maybe will lock out").
HTH

Okay, I was totally confused by that and kept reading it again and again and thought I was going crazy. That's what I thought. (How would it know to?) Thanks for clarifying! I do know that if you are in gauge mode then it won't let you go to air or nitrox mode because it obviously doesn't know how much you've accumulated already. That's the only "lock out" I know of off the top of my head. :)

I do know that if you are in gauge mode then it won't let you go to air or nitrox mode because it obviously doesn't know how much you've accumulated already. That's the only "lock out" I know of off the top of my head. :)

Some of them have lock-outs for missing mandatory deco stops. Some of them even have them documented. The whole idea is, of course, silly because removing the battery (and perhaps waiting a second for the capacitors to discharge) should reset it to a blank slate clearing everything including lockouts.

Yeah, my pesky Suunto Cobra locks me out all the time, especially when I race my buddy to the surface (I always win!). While on my surface interval on the boat I just pull the battery and reset the stupid thing so I can keep diving. What does it know anyway?! [/sarcasm off]

Yeah, my pesky Suunto Cobra locks me out all the time, especially when I race my buddy to the surface (I always win!). While on my surface interval on the boat I just pull the battery and reset the stupid thing so I can keep diving. What does it know anyway?! [/sarcasm off]

To quote another poster, it will happily show a perfectly OK NDL on a wrist of a dead diver, so yes: it has no idea. As @Steve_C pointed out in the other thread, it's up to you to understand what it's actually telling you. If it's locking you out, either you already know you should take it easy and maybe stay close to an oxygen bottle for the next day or so, or you should go see Dr. Darwin.

The "lockout" "feature" is pointless because the smart ones don't need it and it can't overcome stupid.

I have a Suunto Vyper. I am planing a dive vacation. Will my computer lock out if my surface time between my last dive and flying is about 21 hours? If is does lock me out how long will I be locked out?

Thanks
It may, but at that point you will be on the plane. Why do you care if it locks out? You are no longer diving.

If it does lock out, it will be for 24 hours.

It may, but at that point you will be on the plane. Why do you care if it locks out? You are no longer diving.

P.S. DAN's recommendation is a minimum of 18 hours before flying after multiple dives...

I think the OP was possibly flying from island to island to do some diving. At least that is how I read the question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom