Swimsuit Coverups Between Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone! I have had several skin cancers removed (3 Mohs procedures) so I have to be super careful when in the sun. I use a ton of reef-friendly sunscreen and look like Casper the Friendly Ghost's friend Wendy - but I'm looking for something to wear when I'm on a boat and don't want to slather on more stuff. I have a cool lightweight cotton, zippered hoodie that I got in Cozumel and I'd love to have several (so light - and fairly cool) and can't figure out where to find them. I'd love to find some pull on pants - baggy and light. And if possible, I'd prefer to look decent - not planning on a fashion show but I'd prefer not to cringe when I put this stuff on!!

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

I live in long sleeved rash guards & knee length rash shorts or board shorts. And all that lycra helps my wetsuit slide on & off easier.

Check out columbia I think they make several hoodies that might fit the bill for portable wearable shade.

I've found good UPF 50 gear that's not hideously frumpy from:

Mott 50 (expensive)
ExOfficio (expensive)
TASC Performance (moderately priced) - bamboo, so soft & smells great
Columbia (as mentioned by previous poster)

In the heat of the tropics, all you need to cover up between dives is an easily packable sun hat with a full length breathable but thick enough sun-shielding Sarong. . . (for us Guys, the Polynesian "skirt" is called a Lava-Lava).

How to tie a Sarong.

Last edited:
Thank you WrmBluH2O - I had found some of those - and am finding more as I discover new ways to search for what I need. I found a hooded wrap cardigan that was thigh length and NOT UGLY!

Kevrumbo, I need something that will shade my face, neck, shoulders and arms. Also will need some leggings or pants (can't see wearing a skirt of any kind on a dive boat without falling on my face!). The skin cancers I've had removed have been on my temple, my shin, my arms, face and chest. I need coverage from head to toe. A sarong just won't cut it while the sun is out. I think I'd need to use several!! But thanks anyway.

I wear a diveskin and just keep it on between dives, along with a hat that has a big brim and longer back to shade my neck. Another website for sun protective clothing is www.solumbra.com - lots of light weight clothing & other accessories as well as shirts & pants intended for use in the water.

Back
Top Bottom