Switching to DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamtodd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I recently completed an IART OC Ext. Range coarse, and was introduced to the concept of DIR. I am now independently researching the DIR, as I am making a complete overhaul of my equipment. Before I was using a DIN Apex Tungsten 1st stage /w a single tank and Jacket Style BC. As I am now switching to the Wing BC with twins I am trying to find another 1st stage (the one I have now will work just fine with my new set-up)

The question I have is it OK to use two different 1st stages for back gas on twins? I don't really see why there would be a problem, but I wanted to ask before I started considering a buy.

Also if anyone had any recomendations I would appreciate that. I have been looking online a bit at a Dive Hurricane Model and some others. It is just a little hard for me to sort of some of the differences. I havent been cold water diving and don't plan to in the near future.

It is a bit hard to make a choice. I don't want to spend a ton, as I have a lot of diving purchases to make in this gear replacement. However I only want top quality stuff and don't want to comprise anything like that.

Thanks
Adam

Yeah, Right now I am just switching the rigs, but want to do it the DIR way, as far as equipment in concerned. In the future I plan do more intense training and want to make sure the rig I am building is already to the standard require by GUE.
I literally was just exposed to all of this so I am trying to take it one step at a time now.

Most DIR folks are standardized on 1st stages on doubles (twinset in the other English) but its not required.

The Apeks Tungsten is not really a popular model for doubles because the LP ports route a bit "up". You can probably get the hose routing to work with the biggest conflict potentially coming from the backup reg or the wing inflation LP hose (depending on which post you plan on putting this 1st stage).

Alternatively you might consider keeping this 1st stage for a single tank setup and getting dedicated doubles regs. In the Apeks line the DS4s are popular. So are the atomics and some scubapros.

edit: oh and btw the DR Hurricane is a rebranded Beuchat and not very popular, I suspect due to limited parts availability.

using the same regs everywhere is advantageous from a service standpoint (particularly in the field), but not necessary.

Small correction: UTD offer's essentials and GUE offers Fundamentals (aka Fundies) and GUE Primer (basically their response to essentials).
Thanks for the correction.

Here's a link to GUE's Equipment Configuration Page if you haven't already found it. It doesn't look like it has the info you're looking for, though, Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers.

If the GUE folks don't start chiming in (and you are posting in the DIR forum) you may want to head over to DIR explorers forums.

Also if anyone had any recomendations I would appreciate that.
I know that Phillipines is wide area but there are few guys in your neck of the woods that know a lot abot this stuff. Maybe you should try to get in touch with them and get some advices and help in configuring your gear.

Also if anyone had any recomendations I would appreciate that.

I know that Phillipines is wide area but there are few guys in your neck of the woods that know a lot abot this stuff. Maybe you should try to get in touch with them and get some advices and help in configuring your gear.

There are quite a few GUE divers in the Philippines.

They are very friendly & helpful and should be able to connect you with locals who can answer your questions. Feel free to PM me if you want a contact.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom