Swivel Recalled Over Defect; 'Sudden Loss Of The Diver's Air Supply'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Wray

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Washington, D.C. (Aug 29, 2007 17:27 EST) M&J Engineering is recalling about 1,500 swivels for scuba masks.
The swivel, which is attached to a diving mask, could separate while diving. This will result in a sudden loss of the diver's air supply, causing the diver to engage in emergency ascent. This poses a risk of decompression sickness due to rapid ascent or drowning.
M&J Engineering has received one report of swivels separating from the masks while diving. No injuries have been reported.
Endless Pools
This recall involves all SW-3000 2nd stage 360-degree swivels for scuba diving masks manufactured between January 2004 and February 2005. The swivel has the date stamped on its body, below the patent number. Swivels that are already repaired have an arrow stamped on the top right corner of the swivel body.
The swivels were sold at diving retail stores nationwide between January 2004 and February 2005 for about $60.
Consumers should immediately stop using the scuba diving masks with the swivel attached and contact M&J Engineering to receive a free repair.
Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact M&J Engineering toll-free at (888) 794-8351 Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT, or visit the company's Web site at www.mj-engineering.com.
The recall is being conducted in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

jpg.gif

Attachments

• m&j_scuab_mask_recall.jpg
    m&j_scuab_mask_recall.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 47
I'm not sure that too many divers here use a helmet. I presume that this is used for a hardhat setup?

Attachments

• swivel.jpg
    swivel.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 41
You could thread one of these on between any hose and regumalator thingie.

Here's the precise citation: http://216.234.178.228/shop/index.p...ath=15&zenid=0f6339500a0923cbc9ade327016936c9

Whether that is/was their target market, the reference to the "mask" makes me think post #2 had it dead on. Their caption for the above image is AGA which to me means full face mask... IF that was the precise model subect to recall.

I use a couple of similar units and I pay very close attention to the health of the various o-rings inside. They are a p.i.t.a., but they do serve a function in some cases. Not for tourists.

360° swivels are dangerous. This is the same or similar design as the Trident 360° that was also recalled.

John

This swivel is used on the Interspiro Divator MKII (AGA mask)as an aftermarket product. It was a voluntary recall instituted about two years ago. The CPSC seems to have just gotten around to it. The swivels were coming unscrewed from the mask due to a tight washer on the nut that screws onto the mask. These swivels are very well made, but it is somewhat inherent to the design and application on the AGA mask, that they can unscrew from the mask. As John B points out, any adapter, swivel, QD, or anything put inline on your primary is a potential point of failure.

Back
Top Bottom