Sydney shark attack victim was dive instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John the Pom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sydney Morning Herald story

The first fatal shark attack in Sydney for nearly 60 years, in a quiet, sheltered bay popular with families. The victim was a local dive instructor who was swimming in the bay. Locals report a lot of bait fish in the bay at the time of the attack.

Sydney Morning Herald story

The first fatal shark attack in Sydney for nearly 60 years, in a quiet, sheltered bay popular with families. The victim was a local dive instructor who was swimming in the bay. Locals report a lot of bait fish in the bay at the time of the attack.

He was merely swimming not diving on scuba?

He was merely swimming not diving on scuba?
He was swimming, possibly in a wetsuit. The relevance to "Accidents & Incidents" is maybe the conditions. Initial reports suggest that a large school of bait fish had entered the bay and there was visual evidence of extensive feeding activity by predators in the water and seabirds, which may have increased the risk.

Swimming in a wetsuit. The actual attack location was not in the bay itself and was a fair bit out from the entrance. The area is also a reasonably popular dive site, but mostly used by ocean swimmers and spearos.

The video of the attack clearly shows a lot of baitfish around as the attack happens (birds are dropping into the water after them). Quite horrendous really to watch. First fatal shark attack in Sydney for almost 60 years and even longer for a fatal attack in the ocean.

Location of attack is top right or out of view in this photo:
little-bay-aerial[1].jpg

Looks like someone has posted it.
Bob.

Bait fish around, or not. From what I read, this shark attacked from below and did not just take a "sample bite". I have to wonder if this shark has tasted human flesh before....

Bait fish around, or not. From what I read, this shark attacked from below and did not just take a "sample bite". I have to wonder if this shark has tasted human flesh before....

Humans are not regular shark food. The shark may have seen the diver in a black wetsuit look like normal prey animal such as a seal. If so attacking from below vertically is quite normal. Are you suggesting the shark is a regular man eater? People who swim in the ocean put themselves at risk as the risks are so minute of being attacked. Everyone living in Australia knows this. Sydney ocean waters are cold and there are lots of sharks. I did some diving around Sydney and had some good dives there. Lot's of other dangerous critters to worry about when you dive but we still dive don't we?

A great tragedy by any definition of the word.
I did note that in a rare display of sensitivity ch9 ( tv station in Melbourne) cancelled a planned screening of Jaws last night and replaced it with xXx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom