T-Nuts ( tee nuts ) for STA backplate attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OCDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody using T-Nuts for back plate attachment?

I've been using them for a couple years and have not had any problems. I like that they are formed instead of cast. Should take a small bend better.
PITA to tighten (end needle nose pliers), but once I get positioned I can get them pretty tight. I get them for under three bucks at my local Ace HW.

Searched around and was surprised that I couldn't find anything on them. Are they common? Looks like Hollis offers similar but different. Just wondering if there's a reason not to use.

teenut.jpg

Anybody using T-Nuts for back plate attachment?

I've been using them for a couple years and have not had any problems. I like that they are formed instead of cast. Should take a small bend better.
PITA to tighten (end needle nose pliers), but once I get positioned I can get them pretty tight. I get them for under three bucks at my local Ace HW.

Searched around and was surprised that I couldn't find anything on them. Are they common? Looks like Hollis offers similar but different. Just wondering if there's a reason not to use.

View attachment 748778

I've never seen anything like these in use personally. I fully disassemble my BP/W after each dive day. For those that do the same, these wouldn't be ideal. I'll stick with my delrin thumbwheels.

I use SS ones (Weld Nuts) with carriage bolts on my Freedom Plate to attach the wing. They sit close to flush in the wing grommets, minimizing interference with the tank. I ground flats on opposing sides to allow easier instalation/removal with an adjustable wrench or pliers.

I use them on the top bolt of my wife's freedom plate, I do appreciate the way they sit flush. They don't seem as secure as some variety of lock-nut, but I just take a couple spare with me in-case they get lost. On my freedom plate I don't have a wedge tilting the tank, so it doesn't seem necessary to use the t-bolts.

Sometimes known as "book screws".
These are actually a bit flatter than book screws.

I use SS ones (Weld Nuts) with carriage bolts on my Freedom Plate to attach the wing. They sit close to flush in the wing grommets, minimizing interference with the tank. I ground flats on opposing sides to allow easier instalation/removal with an adjustable wrench or pliers.
I also do the exact same on my Freedom Plate! I must have got the idea from you...... Thanks! they work great! :cheers:
I bought them at my local farm supply store in stainless.

Good to hear others are using them Thanks for letting me know. Just thought it odd that I couldn't find anything about them.

Correct, these are not books screws. Thinner and formed not cast. Should be bit more forgiving and lower profile than book screws.

Just give them a good snap when they begin to tighten and you don't need to hold the female

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom