DIR- Generic Tail weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceRiley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been ddiving doubles for 1.5yrs now.
i live in a tropical country 3mm wetsuit is the norm.
Luxfer Al80 doubles is the most common.

i use to dive with oms slipstream with 4 lbs of tail weight.

trim is perfect.

decided to switch back to jetfins to reduce tail weights. but i still need 1.5 lbs

is this normal With al80s? Gets worst when starts to empty… as bottom starts to rise.

I wonder if you simply need more than 1.5 lbs tail weight. How did you arrive at that amount?

Nothing special with AL80s. While the mass is concentrated up high compared to a steel tank, lead on the tail would obviously redistribute the center of mass to a comparable position as with steels (i.e., more in the middle, not so tail-light when empty). However, you could just as easily put that lead in the same position on you or the BP rather than the tank and have the identical (longitudinal) mass distribution.

I need about 2lbs more with AL80s and a SS plate. So I put a 2lbs torpedo weight between the plate and tanks. Trim is perfect even down to 300 PSI. I also use jet fins, btw.

I wonder if you simply need more than 1.5 lbs tail weight. How did you arrive at that amount?

Nothing special with AL80s. While the mass is concentrated up high compared to a steel tank, lead on the tail would obviously redistribute the center of mass to a comparable position as with steels (i.e., more in the middle, not so tail-light when empty). However, you could just as easily put that lead in the same position on you or the BP rather than the tank and have the identical (longitudinal) mass distribution.

use to be 4 lbs with oms fins

now 1.5 lbs with jetfins. How i came about? Trial and error 😂

Found this pic online…
E27639F2-9029-4B41-9F2B-AAEA3FE5E1A4.jpeg

is this normal With al80s? Gets worst when starts to empty… as bottom starts to rise.
Yes it's normal. With jetfins if you extend your feet it's supposed to help a bit, but I find that it's never enough so I usually need to use a tail weight.

an update to this... i have lowered my tank position by lengthening the shoulder straps. from a side view position. the valve knobs are just above my shoulders or touching my shoulder level. somehow... this gave me a better weight distribution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom