Taking a multi-day trip to the Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I used to teach out of Alexander, and never had an issue there.
Well it's a good thing @MrChen is skipping Alexander Springs.
Some lady got bit in the face by the Gator today.

I was thinking about gators and the springs the other day. I was wondering if there were any in the springs. Question answered...

One time years ago I was teaching a cave class at Peacock I - a 6 foot gator swam in between me and my students as we were floating on the surface.

Neither the gator nor us were particularly alarmed.

One time years ago I was teaching a cave class at Peacock I - a 6 foot gator swam in between me and my students as we were floating on the surface.

Neither the gator nor us were particularly alarmed.
How often are there diver/gator crossings in the springs?

It was the only time for me. I think it is a very rare event.

Gators don't like bubbles. We used to slide under them and make them scoot with a burst under their tummies. :D 9 foot is still kinda small to be aggressive. I bet she startled the poor thing. Gators on the hunt usually grab a limb and do their death roll. It pulls the unfortunate limb right off. Gee, if it grabbed her face or head and rolled, that would be horrific. I did get hit with a tail once when I bubbled a gator. That was the end of doing that, and it was a dandy of a bruise, too! Alexander usually pulls gators out of the swimming area when they get to be 5 ft or longer. That doesn't stop them from swimming back in, though. There's a nice canopy they can hide in that surround a bit over half of the swimming area there.
Annnddddddd... how would you know that??? :D :D :D :D :D
You're not supposed to remember such things. At least I didn't get a ticket. :D :D :D FWC can and will stop you for not having a flag, if they see it. That guy was almost on top of us the whole way from the eye to the main spring run.
I've seen the Peacock gator a few times, but it's been a while. The last time I saw him, he was too small to be of concern unless you startled it. I had a gator settle down in the middle of a class at Alexander once. Kinda fun. All the bubbles from the students as they were freaking out was funny. If you don't bother them, they won't bother you. But if you startle ANY wild creature, the end result is often painful.

Gators don't like human interactions. Most creatures don't like the us, as they think we are always in hunt mode because of the way we want to get a closer look. 10 to 12 feet are at the low end of a gator that will start to hunt a human. However, it should be pointed out that a gator's favorite food are yappy dogs. Don't walk your puppy by any water in Florida. They are prime targets.

You're not supposed to remember such things. At least I didn't get a ticket. :D :D :D FWC can and will stop you for not having a flag, if they see it. That guy was almost on top of us the whole way from the eye to the main spring run.
Awwwwhh c'mon.. that's the stuff that stories are told and re-told 'round the campfire.. even better after a few sips of "mur." :D :D :D :D

Awwwwhh c'mon.. that's the stuff that stories are told and re-told 'round the campfire.. even better after a few sips of "mur." :D :D :D :D
Such stories destroy my God-like aura. People might learn about the man behind the curtain. :D :D :D

1699409795833.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom