Taking a snorkeler on a liveaboard? Similans, Nov 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ktkt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm headed to Thailand this fall with my sister. We will be there the last two weeks of November, so we'll hit the beginning of the season on the Andamans side.

I am a new diver, with PADI AOW cert, but not much else, though I'm planning to get in many more dives (near Monterey Bay) before then. She is terrified of diving, but happy to snorkel.

I would love to spend 3-4 nights on a liveaboard visiting the Similans or nearby areas, to squeeze in as much diving as possible, including a couple night dives, but I think I can only manage this if there's an operation whose dive sites are also good for snorkeling. I'm definitely okay with paying ~20k baht for diving; a little more is okay, and ideally there will be a noticeable discount for the snorkeler only price.

Which ops should I check out? Are all/most of the sites good for snorkeling, and I should just pick whichever boat sounds best to me (and shoot them an email to double check)? I got hooked via Discover Scuba out on the Great Barrier Reef, and the day trips I took specifically advertised snorkeling, but I'm not really seeing that show up in my research on liveaboards in Thailand so far.

I would recommend a trip to Similans only. The sites further North like Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock are not suitable for snorkelers.

Similans has some excellent snorkeling, so that is suitable for both divers and snorkelers. There are some nice 3 days/3 nights trips to Similans, which offer good snorkeling. I would especially recommend Oktavia, where the snorkelers are taken care of much better than on the other boats.

Being a new diver you will fit in with most of the boats there I bet :wink:

I have a contact with two independent instructors there that know the shops and boats around that could find you one that fits your needs. Let me know (PM with contact info I can send to them)

Hey there KTKT....Hello from a former bay area diver! The dives here are much different than Monterey :wink:

Shameless plug coming up...but it's so on topic that I can't help myself...

I work at a dive shop here in Khao Lak (the main departure point for the Similan Islands) and we offer a 3 Day Similan liveaboard designed for more beginning divers and we always have a snorkel guide on our trips. Sounds perfect for you and your sister. The idea being that some boats are more suitable for hardcore experienced divers...but many people, just like you...might be more interested in a relaxed pace and even bring along their non-diving friends/family.

The price is several thousand baht less than competitors and we are very focused on environmentally sound diving.

Hope to hear from you soon!

If you choose the boat carefully, taking a snorkeler on your dive trip with you can be managed, but there will generally be some dive site where snorkeling isn't advisable. There are a couple of trips that do go up north to Richelieu (our best dive site) but that unlike most of the boats, spend some time around Surin Island as well, where snorkeling is great.

In general I agree with stevenl's assessment and he has experience with a number of Similan liveaboard providers so he can give you an unbiased opinion.

Thanks for all the feedback! (I haven't abandoned the thread, just caught up with the hectic business of moving cross country.)

Non divers on a liveaboard - it's fine, but they have to be aware that on most liveaboards, snorkelers are not specifically catered for, and there is a compromise somewhere if you want the best of the best dive sites (especially more advanced sites) they may not be suitable for snorkeling... take for example, Elephant Head, Christmas Point, Sharkfin reef, Koh Tachai pinnacle, Richelieu Rock...

Just wanted to add that we (the Oktavia) always have a snorkel guide. The snorkelers get the dinghy so that they can go to snorkel sites instead of merely snorkeling the dive sites. For instance, when the divers are at Elephant Head, the snorkelers are at island 8. Coming season we'll also spend a day at Surin Islands where the snorkeling is spectacular.........

Thanks again for all the suggestions. We are leaning toward the Oktavia; just trying to see if we can get the rest of our transportation lined up to make it work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom