Taking Chantix While Diving - possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tricia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was curious to know if anyone here has had experiences taking Chantix (Champix in Europe) - the stop smoking drug - while diving.

After years of successful "diving while smoking", I realised I really need to quit - if for diving than nothing else: it's a great motivator. I've only been on the Chantix for a week, so I'll still be on it during my dive trip in 3 weeks.

But I recently read a warning that airline pilots are no longer able to take it because of possible dizzy spells, etc. I've had none of that, but I'd like to hear from anyone here who used it while diving.

Thanks,
Tricia

Not with any research or personal experience, my gut feeling is - you're safer diving with Chantix than smoking - if you stay with safe shallow and extremely conservative dive plans. But apparently pilots are not allowed to take it because of concern of neuropsychiatric problems, such as suicide and psychosis. Not because of dizzy spells. Apparently dozens of auto accidents and suicide has occurred because of the medicine, either taking it or stopping it.

Hi Tricia,

Back in January of this year, Pfizer Inc., the manufacturer of Chantix/Champix (varenicline) began to strengthen it warnings about possible adervse psychiatric reaction to the drug. The latest package insert (May 19, 2008) contains the following warning----> https://www.pfizerpro.com/product_info/chantix_isi_about_letter.jsp It would prudent to read this carefully.

In studies, the most common side effects for people who took the drug were nausea, changes in dreaming, constipation, gas and/or vomiting. Nausea was the most common side effect in about 30% of patients, but generally it was mild to moderate and for most people, but not all, it went away.

If the user has been taking the drug for an adequate period to assess for potentially worrisome side effects and has developed none (one week would not be considered adequate), then it should be safe to dive while on the medication.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice.

Thanks Doc!

It's interesting to see the latest warnings (I saw very little of that last summer, when I tried it and had to quit due to severe nausea). I'm now on it with a light, non-drowsy anti-nausea drug and am doing OK.

I was more worried I'd have a post from someone who dove with it and started having hallucinations down below. Trust me to be the first to discover a rare side effect... :-(

I'll be diving with an experienced buddy and we're constantly checking on each other, so I'm not anticipating any difficulties.

Thanks for the update on the latest!

Trish

I was more worried I'd have a post from someone who dove with it and started having hallucinations down below. Trust me to be the first to discover a rare side effect... :-(

Hi Trish,

LOL -- I hear ya.

Adverse neuropsychiatric effects with varenicline use have primarily been recorded in persons with a history of or predisposition to (e.g., family history) mental disorder, most notably depression. While psychiatric abnormalities have been reported in individuals without either of these, they are quite uncommon.

While the evidence is not yet conclusive or compelling, these effects would be expected to be dose-dependent. The initial dose of Chantix typically is 0.5 mg once a day, increasing to 0.5 mg twice daily after 3 days and finally to 1 mg twice daily after 7 days, as determined by the prescribing physician.

The diver will want to give her or himself an adequate period after reaching maximum dosage to assess for potentially worrisome side effects.

Smoking is a very pernicious habit and varenicline has proven to be of considerable efficacy, especially when used as part of a more comprehensive smoking cessation program. Obviously, the risks and benefits must be carefully weighed.

Having a dive buddy who is aware of the Chantix situation is a wise move.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice.

And the cautions continue.

The U.S. Veterans Administration recommends that Champix (varenicline) should be prescribed only after failure of nicotine replacement, bupropion or a combination, and also recommends a mental status examination to assess risk of suicidal or violent
behavior prior to prescribing Champix.

Suicidal Behavior and Depression in Smoking Cessation Treatments
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0027016

Regards.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom