Taking pictures and videos with Canon S100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Use a S95 here---change battery after each dive--& basically stay in Tv mode(sometimes go to Av) for macro & WA....For macro I use : ISO 200, 1/200, -1/3, with macro lens, slightly zoomed., target lite on strobe, & strobe power about 60%........For distance(WA lens usage): Tv, ISO 200, 1/200, -1/3, with WA lens, strobe power full..Shoot in JPEG+RAW & edit in DPP or Light Room & Picasa 3......

Picture of what I use...... 20110128003.jpg

Most of these Sets(after March '11) @ this link are using my above S95:
GEAUXtiger's photosets on Flickr

Hope this helps.....& hope it's not too late.......Let us know how your pics/videos turn out...

Last edited:
sorry for the newb question, on manual mode using the canon OEM housing for the S100, how do i adjust the shutter speed, i believe the housing doesn't let you control the dial ring...

sorry for the newb question, on manual mode using the canon OEM housing for the S100, how do i adjust the shutter speed, i believe the housing doesn't let you control the dial ring...
There's a workaround. First, make sure the ring-func button is configured to actually take you to the ring-func menu. Push it and select C, then press menu (before it jumps out of the selection). Configure the control ring to Tv and leave the menu. Now you can use the ring-func button to choose between STD (control ring is Av) and C (control ring is Tv).

great! took a while to figure out what you were saying but got it in the end :) but that also means i can't assign the custom white balance to the RING FUNC. button which i thought was really usefully...

There's a workaround. First, make sure the ring-func button is configured to actually take you to the ring-func menu. Push it and select C, then press menu (before it jumps out of the selection). Configure the control ring to Tv and leave the menu. Now you can use the ring-func button to choose between STD (control ring is Av) and C (control ring is Tv).

If in manual mode, hold down the Ring-Func button and dont let go, then use the arrows left and right to choose the shutter speed.

I'm using the latest chdk on my S100 and can't find the TTL menu. Can someone who uses this help me out.

Thanks!

I use an S95 without lenses or strobes. Even the internal flash is not operational as the housing (Patima) prevents the flash from popping up. I have to be very careful with light especially any time deeper than 30'.

Photos can be seen on my website (below in my signature).

I tend to aim for small stuff as they don't seem to run away at the first signs of danger. 99% of the time I'm in AV mode and playing around with the f-stops. I like the blurred effect of f2, but it's important to focus well.

ISO is normally on Auto.

If the photo is not coming out right, I'll switch to Manual and play, but this takes more time for me. Luckily I am not diving with groups of people- most of my photo dives are solo on the house reef. Rarely I get to boat dive with my wife as my buddy- normally I'm working during the boat dives.

My advice is:
1. Stay shallow- no deeper than 30'.
2. Know where the sun is and try to keep it over your shoulder.
3. Get close- then get even closer. More than 10' away is too far- aim for 3'.
4. Always think about how not to damage reef when you're setting up the shot and just as importantly after the shot- this is where I see most destruction due to flailing fins.
5. Take your time, good photos are worth it.
6. Always RAW.

Back
Top Bottom