Taking the Adv Nitrox/Deco plunge. (Warning, LONG)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I had hoped to take this class last year, but unexpected medical bills made me put it off. So I spent last year practicing with my double AL80's and deco(pony). I even played around with running lines and shooting bags a little bit. Even though I screwed some drills up pretty bad, it was a great learning experience and lots of fun. Geez, where else can you look like a idiot and still enjoy yourself? :D

So anyway, I went to my LDS to talk to them about taking the Adv Nitrox/deco class. The instructor tells me about the class, but then says they are dropping the TDI classes this year. The new PADI DSAT materials are incredible, so much better than TDI's he says. He says that he will teac me the TDI course if I want, but really pushed the PADI courses. He said that the "tech one" class is basically the same as the advanced nitrox, and that "tech deep" is basically the same as the deco class. I really like this shop, and this instructor (and I know it the instructor, NOT the agency when it comes to classes) so I said I wanted to sign up, but couldn't take the class until around August. He didn't want any payment yet, but said he would order the books and mail them to me when they arrived. He also said the cost of tech one was $550 and tech deep was another $550 plus diving costs.

Then, for the next couple days, the whole conversation just doesn't sit right. Even if the PADI materials are better, why is a long-time SDI/TDI shop, dropping the agency? This is a PADI 5 star, whoopty-doopty facility. The whole "tech" diving is exploding, with tones of money to be possibly made. Did PADI force the shop to drop the competing agency? I thought I saw on thier (LDS) website that the classes were a lot cheaper than this $1100 for both classes.

So I spent today researching. LDS website lists TDI Adv nitrox as $250. I went to TDI's website to find all the instructors in a 6 state area. I called 3 more in my state to find out about how they run thier classes.

The first shop I called, seemed a bit scattered, and gave me bad vibe, but he said he would research the course and call me back. He did. Everything he told me sounded good. Good course, but I got the impression they don't do this much. I want a teacher who eats, sleeps and breaths deco/mixed gas diving.

The second shop, didn't give me any prices, or much info at all. He said he would email the course info to me. But we had a nice talk. He was bitten by the "tech" bug and cave diving since about '99, and is really into this stuff. He also wanted me to email him back my diving info, so he get a feel for where I am at. I was pretty impressed with this instructor. I haven't gotten his email yet though. I wait with anticipation.

The third shop was my alma mater so to speak. I did my basic open water with them. I called them up, but didn't let on that I was one of thier students already. Of all the shops, they spent the most time in the class room. The others (minus the awaiting email) only spent a few hours. Here they spend 3 days in class. I'm no dummy, but I like that they plan on covering the materials in more depth. They are also located right on the main diving lake here in OK, so there is no travel time, or costs to do the diving portion of the class. The instructor likes to teach this class himself, rather than farm it out to one of his instructors. He loves mixed gas diving, so any excuse to do it more he says. I was also struck by a notion I had never thought about before. The practice deco dives don't have a true maditory deco obligation. It's done on mixed gasses, but running an air profile. That way you can practice full deco dives with gas switches, but if something goes horribly wrong for a student, the surface is still an option. I was impressed by the class descrip, and the instructor, but most of all by the price. He said he would teach the combined classes for $350, including the books.

So, with as much as I love my LDS for purchases and services, I think I may go back to my old instructor. Any PADI instructors out there want to let me know the costs of the courseware? I want to re-imburse my LDS for books after they arrive. I plan on keeping them and using them as a further reference guide. Who knows, maybe they are vastly superior to TDI's books.

This was basically, just my story. It would do no good to try to explain things to my wife. But any comments, feelings, salutations, condemnations, etc. are welcome.

Thanks for reading!

Comrade Stroke

Wow. Based on what I've heard about the PADI DSAT courses thus far, I'd go with the TDI. I have the TDI Adv Nitrox book (and the IANTD). The TDI one is better. At least the one I have. I took an IANTD course but we used both the IANTD book, and the TDI, as well as the NOAA diving manual. We spent a LOT of time in the water, and a lot of time in class.

I don't know about Oaklahoma, but there are a lot of places to travel in the US where you simply don't get in the water without mixed gases, and the instructors run these courses all the time. It's a popular class here in cave country, it's certainly going to be popular in the Great Lakes area, and in the northeast.

Just my $.02.

Instructor, Instructor, Instructor.

Find a GOOD instructor (not just 'friendly') with an agency and go with it........ and materials from other agencies you can get pretty much anywhere for a library.
Do not pick soley based on how good the materials are.

There's my .02 cents.

Man I don't know...the LDS I did all my PADI stuff from really had a below par tech program, maybe it was just that store and the instuctor. I went with TDI and another instuctor who lives, eats and sleeps mixed gas stuff. IMHO PADI is just trying to keep up, plus I already put too many dollars in already, so I figure spreading the love to others places won't hurt

It has been said that PADI tech, DSAT, wasn't ready for the market, but I am told that PADI is recently boosting up their tech program and the course materials is getting better. I won't be surprised that PADI DAST takes the lion's share in a tech market in future. Don't be naive. It is all about a money game. PADI has a lot of capital and resource compared to any other agencies. Once PADI sees some profits, they will do everything to take a big pie.

Based on the OP post, it sounds like that PADI is doing "Put Another Dollar In" business in a tech field... I hope their bad habbit won't jack up other tech agencies' tuition though. It seems to be pretty soon. :(

toodles:
Instructor, Instructor, Instructor.

Find a GOOD instructor (not just 'friendly') with an agency and go with it........ and materials from other agencies you can get pretty much anywhere for a library.
Do not pick soley based on how good the materials are.

There's my .02 cents.
I agree with this. Find a good instructor who can teach this stuff well. That is the core to the issue. The books and material are a 'reference' so to speak. I must confess that I purchased the DSAT books anyway since the material is well laid out and they have more background info that TDI/IANTD books. (did not like the divers on their knees in pools pictures though.:) ).

Meng_Tze:
I must confess that I purchased the DSAT books anyway since the material is well laid out and they have more background info that TDI/IANTD books. (did not like the divers on their knees in pools pictures though.:) ).

Does this not foreshadow things to come? I went through a similar decision a while back had already decided against DSAT and went in a different direction. And once I had a look at that DSAT video it pretty well confirmed what I thought. Despite the divers kneeling in the pool, after they mentioned that you should "wrap your legs around a wreck to stabilize yourself while shooting a bag or have your buddy hold you down" I kind of figured it wasn't the skill set I was looking for.

PM sent.

PerroneFord:
Wow. Based on what I've heard about the PADI DSAT courses thus far, I'd go with the TDI. I have the TDI Adv Nitrox book (and the IANTD). The TDI one is better. At least the one I have. I took an IANTD course but we used both the IANTD book, and the TDI, as well as the NOAA diving manual. We spent a LOT of time in the water, and a lot of time in class.

I don't know about Oaklahoma, but there are a lot of places to travel in the US where you simply don't get in the water without mixed gases, and the instructors run these courses all the time. It's a popular class here in cave country, it's certainly going to be popular in the Great Lakes area, and in the northeast.

Just my $.02.

Perrone, if the TDI Adv. Nitrox book is better than the IANTD I would hate to think what it is like. I thought the TDI book was pretty lacking. Sure it went over the basic info okay but there was not much more than what was in my PADI nitrox book. Wasn't IANTD coming out with an update to their tech book?

As for the OP when doing a course like this we decided to travel from slc to Florida for our classes. I wanted someone who does this all the time.

Warren_L:
And once I had a look at that DSAT video it pretty well confirmed what I thought. Despite the divers kneeling in the pool, after they mentioned that you should "wrap your legs around a wreck to stabilize yourself while shooting a bag or have your buddy hold you down" I kind of figured it wasn't the skill set I was looking for.
You're welcome buddy..:wink: Ya gotta admit though, wraping your legs around stuff makes tossing up a bag a piece of cake doesn't it?

Fire_Diver: amongst a lot of other issues, my guess the reason for this 5 star paid, ooops padi center dropping the TDI classes, it's because Padi takes a dim view of their 5 star ops teaching other agencies material.

If you're basing your decision on literature alone, I think you're looking at the wrong stuff, it's all pretty horrible IMO.

Good luck dodging the tech diving minefields. You've just begun :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom