Tall Tale, Big Talker or Just Plain Lucky ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The other thing to keep in mind is that tales tend to grow with age ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I had been diving for 25 years or so, and decided to get my AOW. The first night of class, our very young instructor starts telling the class about the dangers of nitrogen narcosis. Everyone has heard this old story, this instructor was diving on the reef at 100fsw and lost his buddy, so he starts looking for him, spots some bubbles, finds his buddy "narced out of his mind", buddy breathing with a barracuda. Of course, our instructor was the hero saving his buddy from a fate worse than death:wink: When this guy finished telling this story, I got up and started out of the room. The instructor says "Where are you going, class has just started" I said, "To find an instructor who isn't full of BS", which is exactly what I think this gentleman's story is, pure BS. :palmtree: Bob

This is kind of like an instructor I dove with (we were on a diveboat) who told me about how he went down to 290fsw to pick up a kids weight belt. "How did you do deco?" was my response - to which he replies - "I didn't need to do any, I was only down there for a minute or two, I just came straight up" - I sat there laughing on the inside - is this guy the dumbest PADI instructor in the world or a liar? Doesn't really matter, I definately don't feel safe with him leading dives!

DiveMaven:
I admire Tim's professionalism in that he could restrain himself from laughing outloud at the guy!! :rofl3: :rofl3:

But not professional enough to leave it off ScubaBoard :D

and I've sure enjoyed the replies here - some really funny stuff out there...

Aloha, Tim

elmo6s:
This is kind of like an instructor I dove with (we were on a diveboat) who told me about how he went down to 290fsw to pick up a kids weight belt. "How did you do deco?" was my response - to which he replies - "I didn't need to do any, I was only down there for a minute or two, I just came straight up" - I sat there laughing on the inside - is this guy the dumbest PADI instructor in the world or a liar? Doesn't really matter, I definately don't feel safe with him leading dives!

Smart ... maybe not, but possible on my computer with only 2 minutes at a 10ft stop ... which isn't a lot of deco, especially since it's a very conservative computer.

I've met/known several people to do similar profiles ... and most are instructors :wink:

jtoorish:
I had a really entertaining conversation with the boyfriend of a woman I know. He claimed he taught underwater knife fighting to US Army divers. It was better than Cats.

:rofl3:

JT
Actually, teaching cats how to knife fight underwater is not that hard.

Wait a minute! IT WAS CHUCK NORRIS!!!

An ascent from 240ft without a deco is a death sentence. In the book "Shadow Divers", two divers spent 30 minutes at 220 feet due to getting entangled in a wreck. They were very narced, and did not do any deco. As soon as they hit the surface of the water, symptoms of DCS came upon them. One diver died on the boat, the other died in a recompression chamber.

Alright, guys! I strained my brain to remember the details but I had thought that I remembered reading about some supposedly "well respected" guy (I don't know who he is, never heard of him) in diving, that had to make a free ascent from a depth of 160' after running out of air. He also had some other very interesting tales to tell...you can read about them at this site (sorry I don't know how to do a link, so sue me):

http://usadiveclub.com/html/whale_of_a_tale.html

Enjoy!
Fuzz

Well, I guess it made the link for me...:D

These stories always remind me of the opening line to Gilligans Island...

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale...."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom