Tampa area divers wetsuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For colder water, I use a 3 mil Farmer John, which gives 6 mil in the body. From time to time I also have a 3/2 shorty that I put on over that to give me 9 mil in the body. I also got a 3 mil hood for diving the springs. Once summer comes I have a 1 mil full, just for skin protection from brushing against things.

You might want to look at the Bare 5/4 Velocity. A really nice suit, and it's reasonably priced at ~$180 from divetank.com. It works for me for springs or lakes in the winter. I'm fairly cold blooded, but if you spend much time at depth in sprongs you may want something more than a 3mm. I also have a 7mm Bare Artic for the colder waters. Dove that w/ a 5mm hooded vest in SoCal's 55F water a month ago.

I think 3mm farmer John was/is the 'usual' for FL divers, I have one. When doing a 3 day Cavern/Cave class I added a Waterproof (highly recommended brand) 2mm hooded vest and did surprisingly well... but I've since picked up a 7mm semi-dry with hood for Cave and will probably migrate to a 1-2mm full for 'warm open water' stuff. A drop in body temperature does increase your risk of DCS, so factor that in. Lastly, I'd skip most used suits because neoprene does loose it's effectiveness over time and with each dive/compression. A suit can look 'mint' but not be able to properly insulate.

Recommended Thickness
75-85F 1/16" (1.6mm) neoprene, lycra, polartec
70-85F 1/8" (3mm) neoprene
65-75F 3/16" (5mm) neoprene
50-75F ¼" (6.5mm) neoprene
35-65F 3/8" (9.5mm) neoprene, drysuit

http://www.scubadiving.com/article3177

Thanks for the response all.

I picked up a Bare 3/2 full this weekend, between that and my natural (more than I care to have) insulation I should be ok.

Another question--what about in the winter? Do many people still use a 3mm (one piece)? Would a 3mm with a hood be enough in the gulf in the winter?

Thanks for the response all.

I picked up a Bare 3/2 full this weekend, between that and my natural (more than I care to have) insulation I should be ok.

Another question--what about in the winter? Do many people still use a 3mm (one piece)? Would a 3mm with a hood be enough in the gulf in the winter?
It is for me. I have a little extra whale blubber to assist me in keeping warm though.:rofl3:

I use a 7 mm in the springs. I tend to get cold easily, so I would suggest a 5 mm full suit.

thanks--I have a one piece Henderson 3mm--I think I might try that in the gulf with a hood and if it's too cold I'll get a 5mm. I used to have a 7mm but I don't really care for them because they're so hard to put on, and I don't really feel like getting a drysuit.

The person at the LDS said the springs were warmer than the gulf--is this correct information?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom