Tampa Area trip 2/15 & 2/16 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goclimbing

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm headed to Tampa on a work related trip for a bit over a week. I have two days (Feb. 15th, 16th) before work and plan to dive. I understand Tampa is a bit limited compared to the east coast (which I'll head to after work responsibilities) but still want to get in the water. I live in Boulder, CO and it's 0 degrees F here today. Any water will seem tropical.

So... I'm looking for recommendations on who to dive with out there. I'd like to dive both days and if possible do a night dive on Saturday. I know there are a couple of wrecks to dive on and there's where I'd like to start. I've also heard about the springs so perhaps I'll dive wrecks one day and springs the next (weather permitted).

And advice or help is very much appreciated!

I'm headed to Tampa on a work related trip for a bit over a week. I have two days (Feb. 15th, 16th) before work and plan to dive. I understand Tampa is a bit limited compared to the east coast (which I'll head to after work responsibilities) but still want to get in the water. I live in Boulder, CO and it's 0 degrees F here today. Any water will seem tropical.

So... I'm looking for recommendations on who to dive with out there. I'd like to dive both days and if possible do a night dive on Saturday. I know there are a couple of wrecks to dive on and there's where I'd like to start. I've also heard about the springs so perhaps I'll dive wrecks one day and springs the next (weather permitted).

And advice or help is very much appreciated!

I don't think any dive shop is going out diving this month in Pinellas county around Tampa. It's been cold/windy/rainy on and off for the past month(lots of fog in the morning too). Water temps are about 62-65; you might have some luck going out with a dive shop (try calling Blue Water Explorers in Cortez, Manatee county) Home

Best time to dive around here would be from late March to June and if no storms all the way to Oct/Nov.

Narcosis and tanks a lot going out this weekend as far as i know, might be more shops that are going out too

I was out last weekend off of venice (1:30hr south) for some megladon teeth hunting and the water temp offshore was a bitter 61 degrees. I dove dry but still got chilly after 2 hrs in the water.

I'd recommend heading out to the springs.

You can go to Hudson grotto at ScubaWest in hudson (45min north on US19) and do a day time night dive. Its dark, but a cool dive site with the right guide. It has 3 thermo clines as you descend down to 110 ft, plus a halo-cline at about 100ft.

Or

Head up to Williston fl (2 hr drive) and dive Blue Grotto its always 70 degrees, crystal clear water with a nice cavern area thats open to open water divers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom