Tank Boot Removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

badmrchris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I bought a tank weight/boot combo, but how do I remove the old boot? Any quick
ideas or do I get the dremel?:confused:

Hold the tank off the ground and tap it off with a SOFT mallet/hammer.

but it worked fine.

I didn't have a soft mallet, only a "regular", nail-driving hammer.

I folded a dishtowel a few times until it was pretty thick then, with the tank laying on its side, lay the towel so that it covered the lip of the boot and protected the side of the tank.

I tapped the lip of the boot (through the towel), gently, in a very controlled fashion and rotated the tank twice to tap a different part of the boot. It popped off after somewhere between one and two dozen taps.

It was quick, easy and most importantly, seemed reasonably safe.

YMMV.

Good luck,

Adam

Tamas:
....or if it stuck really gooooood some warm/hot water will help make it more malleable.

Dip it in a bis pot of boiling water. the boot will heat up and expand allot quicker than the tank. It should pull off fairly easilly. I whould grab it with a towel as it will be Hot and wet. Have someone hold the valve, and tou grab the boot. If you do this as such with two people, make sure you are both sitting on the ground. Otherwise when it comes off, someone may fall backwards and hit their head, and you can't dive with a concussion.

Leadking:
Use a piece of 2x4 against the edge of the boot and hit it with a hammer.

Lee
www.seapearls.com

Yes, wack the crap out of it. ITS FUN

Is this Lee from the Truk CCR trip?

Curt Bowen

mfalco:
Dip it in a bis pot of boiling water. the boot will heat up and expand allot quicker than the tank. It should pull off fairly easilly. I whould grab it with a towel as it will be Hot and wet. Have someone hold the valve, and tou grab the boot. If you do this as such with two people, make sure you are both sitting on the ground. Otherwise when it comes off, someone may fall backwards and hit their head, and you can't dive with a concussion.

So it's always been my understanding that you don't ever expose tanks to hot temperatures--above 130ish+ just to be safe. Boiling water probably = not good for tanks even if it's just for a moment or so. Better safe than sorry!

SparticleBrane:
So it's always been my understanding that you don't ever expose tanks to hot temperatures--above 130ish+ just to be safe. Boiling water probably = not good for tanks even if it's just for a moment or so. Better safe than sorry!

Just how hot do you think it gets in a bottle being filled?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom