Tank Equalizer for $2.50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not seeing the setup it's hard to speculate. Can you upload a pic? It is probably something obvious to us in the outside looking in. I can say you will need a relief method. Like a second stage or you will blow o rings. HTH

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, they are both marked HP and it is the same ports that I removed the button SPG's from. They are our pony tank regs and we have been diving with them all week without problems.

i just removed the hose from the port and reinstalled the SPG. Works just fine like that.

Locate the leak and see if you need to add an o-ring to make the seal.

Locate the leak and see if you need to add an o-ring to make the seal.

Thanks guys. I switched things around and it became more obvious that it is the adaptor leaking. Looks like I need another o-ring as awap suggested.

Uncfpn,

Which method are you using? The method where you join two hoses or with the adapter fitting screwed directly into the port? For the single hose method, I find installing the adapter first then installing the hose onto it there is less tendency for the hose to unseat the fitting. A 85-90 duro -011 o-ring for the fitting would be better than a softer one, but a 70-75 will work in a pinch.

If you are using the two hose method, unlike others I prefer NOT to use the spool. (no spool required for either method.)

Thanks couv. Just got back from my last dive this trip. I am using the single hose with the adapter. Will try your suggestion when I get back home and check back if still having that problem.

Lisa

Thanks guys. Got it. Just needed to add an o-ring. Works perfectly!

I use this to fill two pony bottles from a full HP117 (13 and 19 cu ft) after I've tested them underwater (haven't needed them for real). They never get a VIP or hydro so I save $20 per year for 2 VIPs. They are less than 5 years old so I don't know about needing a hydro at that time. I only fill them about 2 times per year (2K to 3K psi) , if that often.

Hello All,

Over the last couple of days I have been asked by PM about making an inexpensive tank equalization hose. Here is an updated version on how to accomplish that. To cheaply equalize two tanks or just to add a bit of pressure to one from the another, you only need 2 regulators, a submersible pressure gage hose, and an inexpensive fitting that can be obtained from a hydraulic hose shop or from Granger.

Here are two methods:
Method A
1. Install one regulator onto the donating tank valve and one regulator onto the receiving tank valve.
2. Remove the submersible pressure gage (SPG) and spool from the hose of the donating tank's regulator.
3. Remove a high pressure port plug or the submersible pressure gage hose of the receiving tank's regulator.
4. Install the hose adapter into the HP port: Male JIC Thread 7/16-20 In, SAE Straight Thread 7/16-20 In
Hose Adapter, SAE to JIC, Straight - Hydraulic Hose Adapters and Plugs - Hydraulic Hoses - Pneumatics & Hydraulics : Grainger Industrial Supply

5. Install the donating hose onto the receiving adapter.
6. Make sure all connections are secure and slowly open the tank valves-voila, you are equalizing.

Method B is the same as Method A except you remove both SPGs and spools from the ends of the donating and receiving regulators and install a different type of fitting to join the two HP hoses together.
Male Straight Union, 1/4 In Tube Sz, SS - Stainless Steel Tube Fittings - Fittings - Plumbing : Grainger Industrial Supply

Be very careful: You are dealing with high pressure gas. DO NOT INSTALL THE HIGH PRESSURE HOSE INTO A LOW PRESSURE FITTING-DO NOT USE A LOW PRESSURE HOSE.

Couv

Thanks. This just worked perfectly, although..............it now costs $2.76 before tax:shocked2:. Really neat solution. Thanks again.

Last edited:
$ 2.92 before taxes now, and this topic needs a bump.. Thanks Couv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom