Tank Equalizer for $2.50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No....but with all the resistance to using this simple, inexpensive method, I would appreciate the input of someone who has found reason not to use it for the purpose I've described.

Hey, couv. For what it's worth I'm on your side. :D Got my 2.50 part and didn't even have to pay shipping! Next time my pony needs filling...I'm good to go.

Thanks. I do appreciate your help.

Lisa

There's no "sides" here. Couv, I like your idea, thanks for posting it. I have a buddy with some extra hoses and there's a Granger right down the street so I'm sure for < $20 I could put this together and I'm sure it would work.

But you asked why I don't. Well, it seems like if I make this hose and go putting it on and off my regs enough time sooner or later I'm going to screw something up enough to ruin a dive. I have a buddy who loves to tinker / DIY. That's cool and I respect him for that. But I've had him have minor issues with his gear enough times to know it can cause issues if you don't stop playing and stabilize.

His gear was never 'dangerous' but when you lug all your crap down 100' to Lake Travis just to find out he has to thumb a dive because of a leaky HP spool.... well, that sucks.

So for me, I like the 2x paintball adapter and connecting hose idea. Pressure gauge on each end to fill her up and then put your regs on without jacking with them.

In response to:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by raftingtigger
... a LP BC hose as my pressure relief. Works great.

"Posted by Couv" "I should have said the low pressure hose will not act as an over pressure relief valve-unless one considers a blown hose a safety device."

LP BC hose isn't the safety. It is simply a way to depressurize the system. You are right, it would be safer to have a small button OPV on the reg with the LP hose (a now planned addition).

As for how often I service the regs... The ones uses are so simple as to be field serviceable. They are in my standard service rotation.

Why don't I just connect/disconnect hoses as needed... The more times they are connected and disconnected the more chance for causing a problem. I had the spare gear, rarely boat dive, almost never travel dive... so the extra bulk is not an issue. However adding a 2nd to the transfer set makes it no longer pack in my repair kit.

Finally, to Couv. THANK YOU. Great idea at a fantastic price.

There's no "sides" here. Couv, I like your idea, thanks for posting it. I have a buddy with some extra hoses and there's a Granger right down the street so I'm sure for < $20 I could put this together and I'm sure it would work.

But you asked why I don't. Well, it seems like if I make this hose and go putting it on and off my regs enough time sooner or later I'm going to screw something up enough to ruin a dive. I have a buddy who loves to tinker / DIY. That's cool and I respect him for that. But I've had him have minor issues with his gear enough times to know it can cause issues if you don't stop playing and stabilize.

His gear was never 'dangerous' but when you lug all your crap down 100' to Lake Travis just to find out he has to thumb a dive because of a leaky HP spool.... well, that sucks.

So for me, I like the 2x paintball adapter and connecting hose idea. Pressure gauge on each end to fill her up and then put your regs on without jacking with them.

Hi Chrpai,

I did not mean to imply there are sides-however the idea of a simple fitting for occasional use seems like a great idea to share. But, if there are issues-especially safety issues, I want to know about it. I've used this method lots of times and found it to be exactly what I needed. Having said that, one has to admit the number of responses on the order of, "well, I built a bulkier one for a lot more money" makes me wonder if I'm missing something.

I appriciate some people are reticent about removing their SPG, and it sounds like your friend should be advised to avoid DIY altogether-but that is not what the DIY forum is about.

Cheers,

couv

Last edited:
I'm not reticent in removing my SPG... I know what an HP spool looks like. :) I'm just reluctant to do it over and over... hence why I'd want to put this on dedicated junker regs.

Your idea is nifty (and priced great) for an emergency transfill but I suspect most people who look into this idea are ready to do more then the occasional fill and are looking for a decent solution that costs way less then $125-$150. Hence why I think the $60 solution is good for me.

But I've had him have minor issues with his gear enough times to know it can cause issues if you don't stop playing and stabilize.

chrpai, tell us more about the many problems this wreckless DIY'er has had. I agree with couv... he sounds dangerous. If I were you I'd reconsider diving with someone like that in the future. Stick with internet diving instead.... much safer.

Got the Grainger fitting (turned out they had a branch location 8 miles up the road!). Haven't needed to use it yet but curious about your concern for the regulators. How is using the regulator to equalize pressure between tanks different from using it on the same tank, exposed to the same pressures each time you dive? Is there a reason hooking it up to transfer air through the HP ports will increase the risk of damage? Understand, I am very much a beginner in this DIY stuff! Still lots to learn. Thanks.

You're right, there's no reason not to use your normal 2nd stage. In fact, the only reason you need any sort of 2nd stage is to bleed pressure out of the HP chamber when you're finished equalizing. Otherwise you wouldn't need anything except two 1st stages and the HP hose. The only thing you're protecting with an OPV in this case is any LP hose (2nd stage or LP inflator) that's on the set up.

I had an interesting experience with this DIY equalizer once. I only used one 2nd stage on one of the 1st stages to bleed off pressure. Since the other 1st stage had the LP ports all installed, once IP built up and closed the HP seat it stayed that way, even after bleeding the pressure off the HP section and removing the stage. A few weeks later I took out one of the LP plugs and heard a loud pop as IP released.

You're right, there's no reason not to use your normal 2nd stage. In fact, the only reason you need any sort of 2nd stage is to bleed pressure out of the HP chamber when you're finished equalizing. Otherwise you wouldn't need anything except two 1st stages and the HP hose. The only thing you're protecting with an OPV in this case is any LP hose (2nd stage or LP inflator) that's on the set up.

I had an interesting experience with this DIY equalizer once. I only used one 2nd stage on one of the 1st stages to bleed off pressure. Since the other 1st stage had the LP ports all installed, once IP built up and closed the HP seat it stayed that way, even after bleeding the pressure off the HP section and removing the stage. A few weeks later I took out one of the LP plugs and heard a loud pop as IP released.

:) I had a similar experience which gave rise to an upcoming project to be disclosed later. Hint: It's for the "don't leave your regulator unpressurized while soaking" crowd.

What am I doing wrong?

I have a first and second stage connected to a HP100 tank and pony. I have removed the SPG on the sets and connected each first stage with a HP hose to each using the adapter. When I slowly open the valve, the first stage on the HP tank vents rather then equalizing the pressure between tanks. Help please.

Hi Uncfnp,

Please make SURE the equalizing hose goes from a HIGH PRESSURE port on the donating tank to a HIGH PRESSURE port on the receiving tank. It sounds like your second stage is reliving the pressure because you are connected to a low pressure port.

Other than that, you may have a problem with one of your first stages. Do they both operate normally with no venting?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom