Tank explosion kills one - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That scares the crap out of me.

Doesn't it freak out the shop's insurance companies and the DOT?

Don't ask, don't tell.

Steels are actually capable of those pressures. They are rated for around that in Europe. IIRC it's because of some archaic rules going back to the '40s that they aren't certified for similar pressures on this side of the ocean.

The figures i was given is that visual is once a year for a tank filled twice a week. so every 100 fills an inspection is due. multi daily use and boat fills may require monthly vis's. 1 year is the max interval.

While most of us are used to getting our cylinders inspected annually, the recommended time schedule for visual inspections actually depends on the frequency of use.

For a busy dive operation with a busy dive schdule, the recommended VIP schedule is fairly frequently. if I recall correctly it is every 3 months.

---------- Post added September 21st, 2014 at 03:27 AM ----------

Other comments wbout overfilling and loer fill pressures in the US. The US has a 4:1 safety factor other countries are less. alloys in other countries are different from that allowed in the US.

As far as cave country and filling tanks. when ever i observed tanks being filled there, FSO's are very careful to fill slowly. although theyare filling to very high pressure's they take 20-30 minutes to do it. And filling 8-12 tanks (4-6 sets of doubles) at the same time with 32%.

---------- Post added September 21st, 2014 at 03:31 AM ----------

Dropped or struck is a qualifier for needing a vis. you dont have to take of the valve for the visin that case bercause you are looking for gouges on the outside of the tank. Mpost people look thier tank over for damage wehn it falls so in a way is it being checked buty not by a certified inspector. If you do fing a gouge then the sicker becomed void and need to be reissued after depth measurements are made of the gouges.

Thanks. Very interesting.

I was interested in seeing that it also calls for a visual inspection any time the tanks falls or is struck. That would result in a whole lot of inspections for the average tank. for example, I used an operator in Cozumel the last time I was there whose boat was kept at a marina near my hotel, so I went all the way back to the marina before disembarking each day. The crew emptied the boat by throwing the tanks to the top of the concrete wall, where they landed on their sides on rubber mats lying on top the concrete wall. According to that standard, those tanks should have had a visual every day they were used. I suspect that did not happen.

---------- Post added September 21st, 2014 at 03:35 AM ----------

There are various degrees of failure. there are correctable issues like those that are fixed with a tumble and those that can not be fixed in which case the tank is condemned. As a PSI guy we are taught to do everything but cheating in order to pass a tank. Questionable areas are checked by another inspector and if still in doubt then the tank gets teh benifit of the doubt and is passed.

Just to be clear, I also don't think it's right/legal for a shop to fail a tank on a VIP (Visual Inspection Program) and destroy/disable it. I'm talking about when it's hydroed or if an eddy test is done and cracks are detected (which could be done while a tank still has a current hydro).

If a tank fails a visual inspection, the shop should recommend a tumble and whatever it is that needs to be done to make the tank pass the VIP. the customer is certaoinly free to decline to do that. And now comes the tricky part.

When you do a VIP, the FIRST thing you're supposed to do is remove ALL stickers from the tank. This does two things. One is that it allows you to check for corrosion, bubbling, defects, etc., that might have been hidden under the stickers. Two is that if the tank fails the VIP and the customer doesn't want to have it corrected/fixed, the tank no longer has a valid VIP sticker and - in theory - can't be filled (by a reputable shop).

The problem is that many shops (I don't think "most" applies) don't remove the old VIP sticker, let alone other stickers, when they do the inspection. So if the tank fails, the customer takes it, it still has a valid VIP (for whatever time is remaining), and goes somewhere else to have it filled. Because obviously, we're just trying to scam you out of a $50 tumble. THAT'S where we REALLY make all of our money. besides, it's only your life we're talking about . . . (NOTE: Sarcasm in green bold type.)

:D

- Ken

So, you don't have a link to an example!!!!
You want me to do you work for you???? :wink:

I'll see if I can find my reference at home.

In the meanwhile, search the DOT website for the failure analysis report. A 6351 alloy AL80 cylinder failed during a fill - not from crown cracking but from a manufacturing slag inclusion. The cylinder was otherwise well maintained.

**** happens.

You want me to do you work for you???? :wink:

I'll see if I can find my reference at home.

In the meanwhile, search the DOT website for the failure analysis report. A 6351 alloy AL80 cylinder failed during a fill - not from crown cracking but from a manufacturing slag inclusion. The cylinder was otherwise well maintained.

**** happens.

So it happened once, to a cylinder that isn't made anymore and nobody who is allergic to explosions will fill?

I can live with those odds.

So is there any news or any findings? Any results from any investigation going on? Are we ever going to know what happened?
I was getting a part at Cozumel Scuba repair last week and got to talking with Javier who does hydro's on the island. The tank that failed was a 1988 Walter Kidde AL80 (6351 alloy).
Previously and now all tanks that were being filled at the large commercial fillers like Meriando have always required Hydro's and they did not accept 6351 tanks. Since the accident the independent shops with their own fill stations have been getting all their tanks up to code and he has been very busy with Hydro’s. I personally doubt you can find a 6351 tank in service at a dive shop in Cozumel after this tragic accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom